Neptune Street

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
glencairn

Re: Neptune Street

Post by glencairn »

Hi Carl.
Around the goods yard have a mix earth browns where railway staff would walk etc.. The odd small clump of grass/weeds. Nature 'loves a battle' against 'perfect' (and nearly always wins :lol: :lol: ) Steam engines leave their mark with coal dust and smoke. Just my 2centsworth.

Loving the first picture. The 'fifty shades of green'. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Carl,

Try sprinkling very finely filtered and oven dried soil from the garden….it is great for dulling down surfaces - spray surface with hair spray to hold in place - try L’Oréal……it will be worth it !
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions, I’ll try things out on a test piece.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

In the interests of speed (as I don’t have a sleeper grime rattle can) I went for artists acrylic paints and used a more or less dry brush method, as opposed to washes, and built the colour up gradually.

Tonight I’ve added some greenery for the run down, neglected look. It’s knowing when to stop.

Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

That is looking mighty fine :)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

That looks very good indeed - well done. No need to rush the greenery, as you say, you can over-do it. I would leave it as you have it.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Looking good. I agree that the greenery looks about right.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thank you for the feedback, that’s it, no more meddling. Goods and humans needed.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

The next project has started; a terrace, or terraces of town houses on the lift out section, which in itself will be lift out. I don’t know why I call it a lift out section, I never lift it out, I crawl under instead, much to my knees objection :roll:

I was going to do a level street on the higher (rhs) level but a solid wall at the quay end didn’t look right. So I’m going for an inclined street leading down to the quayside area. I’m not sure which way round the houses will go, a longitudinal street, or terraces at 90 degrees to the street. I’ll build a pair of terraced house and have a play around.

This didn’t look right
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have a lift-up section (hinged) across the door but it very rarely gets used - like you - I crawl under :(