Beacombe in the Sunny South!

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
King Anorak

Beacombe in the Sunny South!

Post by King Anorak »

Beacombe is the first layout I've built after a hiatus of over 40 years away from the hobby. In fact it's the first layout ever, all my others as a young teenager were very much in the 'train set' category.

Beacombe is a small seaside town somewhere between Southampton and Bournemouth and the DC layout is set in the mid-60s with electrification almost complete. I run the usual Waterloo expresses, normally hauled by Mr Bulleid's finest (these are a mixture of Hornby, kit and one partially scratch) and there's a 4-CEP that appears sometimes on proving trials. Alongside this are various summer specials from other parts of the network together with a busy goods yard.

It's all very much a work in progress and there'll be plenty to do this winter. First will be laying third rail followed by finishing the scenery on top of the tunnel. Much of the layout looks deliberately down at heel, and I'm trying to capture the feel of the dying years of steam. Taw Valley especially is in dreadful cosmetic condition and much as she looked shortly before withdrawal.

Hope you like it and I'd welcome any ideas as I'm very much a returning beginner to this. It's all nostalgia fuelled and I've always found something melancholically attractive about the slow decay in the 1960s.

Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.
bulleidboy

Re: Beacombe in the Sunny South!

Post by bulleidboy »

That's looking very good - Beacombe is certainly a layout to watch. Have fun with the 3rd rail.
King Anorak

Post by King Anorak »

bulleidboy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:19 pm That's looking very good - Beacombe is certainly a layout to watch. Have fun with the 3rd rail.
Thanks, glad you like it. I did make a start on the 3rd rail but it was so monotonous that I gave-up after an hour and had a beer instead. I think I'd build it all differently if I started again - I've made the mistake of trying to cram as much track onto the baseboard as possible and it loses realism as a result.
Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Welcome back to the hobby. That is looking very nice indeed, I look forward to seeing more images. Nothing wrong with trying to cram too much in, I’m guilty as charged :D
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It is pretty common to cram track in.
Nurse, the screens!
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Nice work.
Looking forward to more pictures in due course.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Lovely looking layout, as above I look forward to seeing more of it.