Daniel Caso Has Passed Away.

Any news relating to modelling, events etc.
Mountain Goat

Daniel Caso Has Passed Away.

Post by Mountain Goat »

I know he was well known and loved on a few model railway sites through his ability to encourage others as well as being an expert modeller himself.
I have recently found out from the NGRM Online site. He will be missed.

(I can't remember if he was a member on this site or not as I found him on a few sites over the years).

Here is a link to his work on another site.

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 6&start=30

Keep sifting through the photos and pages and you will find some real gems!
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
glencairn

Re: Daniel Casso Has Passed Away.

Post by glencairn »

Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow railway modeler. Though I did not know him I have heard of him.

Thoughts & prayers to his family.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.

Post by 508035 »

I completely agree, RIP Daniel, you will be sorely missed by all of us in the modellers community, your experience and advice was always welcomed by anybody who had a hard to solve issue which you were able to give advice on.
Stese_Admin

Post by Stese_Admin »

admin note - moved to Modelling News, Announcements & Notices, as this topic is more applicable then the Welcome Forum.
Stese

Post by Stese »

I had not heard of this person before, but it's always sad to lose a member of the modelling community. My thoughts are with his family, may he rest in everlasting peace.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have never heard of him but from what MG said he must be well known elsewhere. RIP.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I was looking at his work on another site like this one which was a small fraction of his work. I would love to share a link to that site to show his work but I don't think that is allowed. (Apologize as I could not recall if he had been on this site or not as I had seen him on a few sites).
I heard of his death today via a narrow gauge site I am also on where he shared most of his work. I PM'd him every few weeks (We got on well so we occasionally kept in touch. It was difficult for him as a few months ago he gave away his modelling tools due to ill health).
With his modelling, later in life he changed up a scale or two to model in 1:24 which he said was easier on his eyes, and he enjoy making expertly detailed dioramas, which he then tore down and built another. When asked why he tore them down he said he could not find anyone who wanted them in his country, (He lived in Amsterdam) even though they were real museum quality pieces. He loved creating scenes from old postcards from the past of his country and other places in Europe. His scenes were such that one felt one could walk into. He often created his own tools and jigs for making things in bulk such as rooftiles where there was no miniature tool to do the job. While much of his work involved intricate old buildings and scenery, he also included a glimps of an old abandoned railway here or there! In the past he also did a bit more on the railway side itself and was always on the look out for his favourite loco, a Decoville, but sadly they were only available in smaller scales. (I have seen chassis parts of a loco he was making as he showed me the pics on my thread to encourage me).
It was his encouragement I loved and he wanted to see more of my work which felt ammaturish compared to his! He will be missed.
Stese_Admin

Post by Stese_Admin »

As long as the link follows Rule 7, I see no issue with posting it.
The Rules wrote:7. Any Hyper-links used should adhere to the standard post rules already stated. Hyper-links which provide a personal or commercial gain are strictly forbidden. (E.g. EBay/Facebook Marketplace sales etc). viewtopic.php?t=5519
Mountain Goat

Re: Daniel Caso Has Passed Away.

Post by Mountain Goat »

Here is a link to a thread he created on another site.

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 6&start=30

I can't show his work on a narrow gauge site I am on as only members can view it, but the site above which some of his work was seen should give one an idea of what he created. Much of his work was to suggest ideas to help others xevelop their own scenic techniques and ideas, as he was always on the look-out for pictures of real life scenes he could re-create. One unusual aspect of his work was his fascination with the reflections in water and working out how best to model them. I remember he once made a lovely scene with water and a cow or two going in to take a drink.
Hope the link works.
RogerB

Re: Daniel Caso Has Passed Away.

Post by RogerB »

It does- and there is a link to Daniel’s Flickr albums. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.