WEST ORTON

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Steve M

Re: WEST ORTON

Post by Steve M »

Something I'm fiddling with at the moment. I don't know if this will make it onto the layout as a full blown platform canopy, but it may end up as an awning on the station building. One problem being that ideally the canopy should follow the curve of the platform. That is a step too far!
I found the original .stl file online but found it to be very poorly executed as many parts printed about the same thickness as a sheet of newspaper.
So I set about a redesign using the existing size and texture for the valance but completely redoing the rest.
These are the third set of test prints for some of the parts. I have a set of frames and valance in the printer now - fingers crossed.
If it becomes an awning I may assemble the parts on the computer and split it lengthways prior to printing rather than take a Dremel to it once built.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

You just know the finished canopy is going to look so good.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Look forward to seeing the finished project.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

bulleidboy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:41 am Look forward to seeing the finished product. As Carl said, I have no doubt it will look superb. :roll:
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Today has been a day of catching up with some sleep after a four day trip to Galway for our son's wedding - irish weddings seem to go on for a very long time and very late into the night!
But I have had a little time to fiddle with some more canopy parts - I think this shows where it's heading.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

That's looking good. I don't know if you have room/space, but you could place it on a short length of platform in a goods yard in a very dilapidated state. Outside of Woking Station - heading west, there is a length of platform with a canopy similar to yours, with bushes and ivy growing all over it. I don't know what it was used for originally, but it now forms the end of the ballast depot line - they have thousands of tons in various colours and sizes!
Last edited by bulleidboy on Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Well done Steve nice work.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The awning came out of the printer this evening - partial success.
The key to a successful print is to get the orientation of the model 'correct' and to provide sufficient scaffolding to support the model as it prints.
Unfortunately there weren't enough supports on one end of the front valance which has allowed it to sag.
I have a full roof printing overnight - that could be 'educational' before I adjust this awning tomorrow.

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Still at the prototyping stage. This complete roof was a real PITA to release from it's supports so there is an adjusted version in the printer.

bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Looking good Steve - I can see there is a bit (a lot?) of snipping to do to release it.