One of those weeks.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
RogerB

Re: One of those weeks.

Post by RogerB »

Currently FOC. If the £ signs start appearing then I will have a re-think. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I have a lot of photos! Google cloud would be a fraction under £240 pa for the capacity I would need. I will invest in a few more SSDs as the year progresses. And to think I could have used the winter fuel allowance. :?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Stese

Post by Stese »

SSD's are not normally used for long term bulk backups , particularly if they are left connected to the machine.

The storage 'cells' in an SSD have a read&write lifespan, and once they fail, thats that, that cell is unusable. an SSD connected to a machine will read & write to the storage on occasion, even if you aren't using the data stored there, thus over time, there is a natural wear&tear on these devices. Modern SSD's, therefore have a percentage of their actual storage reserved for 'replacing' failed cells. Eventually, enough of the cells will fail, and the drive will become unusable. For this reason, Spinning Magnetic Drives (Hard Disks) are more common in backup scenarios, as they don't suffer with read&write wear.

You might be better served getting a 'NAS box' with a 'raid' (Redundant Array of Independent Disks), of 4 or more Hard Drives. In a raid 6 configuration, you can lose 2 entire hard disks, but none of your data is at risk. There are other raid setups, with different protection & performance levels.

Regarding the failed disk, have you been told what the failure is?
Steve M wrote:I have a totally irrational dislike and distrust of anything that use the phrase 'the cloud'.
Not irrational at all, it seems you are fully aware of what the cloud means and how it affects your data... hear 'Cloud', think 'Someone else's computer'.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The man in the repair shop lost me at 'partition failure that our software can't break through'.
The SSDs are not constantly connected as the HDD was. I think I will go forward with a double back up - external HDD permanently connected with an occasional connection of SSD as and when I've loaded up a number of photos or 3D files as the secondary backup.
Stese

Post by Stese »

If you still have the disk, and wanted a second opinion, I'd happily take a crack at it for you.

Your new backup solution seems very sensible. An SSD that is unpowered will theoretically last as long as the plastics etc, can survive bio-degradation.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I may well take you up on that.
At some point I have to go through a folder of CDs that were used for backing up before I got the HDD - I know they have some, if not all, the missing files. Then I can take stock of the next steps, if any.
In the meantime, i have the main files on the PC and the HDD with the holiday photos on SSD. I would order the new drives apart from it being an expensive few months - son's wedding in Galway followed by our hols in October.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I could perhaps hijack my own thread and change the title to 'one of those days'.
Early start to drop off the car for its annual service, MaccyD's breakfast then an uphill walk home.
Checked on an overnight 3D print - success! More ModelU figures to paint. Started a second run for some spares.
Settled into the paint shed to finish off the station awning but shaky hands on some bracket detail shows I was right to back off from any more 'commercial' work. Good enough for government work, as they say.
Phone call from the police.......they need a few statements (it's been a particularly 'active' week at work) so I had two nice policemen sat on my sofa all afternoon - yes, they really are getting younger.
Statements signed and nosey neighbours calmed - yes one did phone me to see what was going on!
Check on the extra 3D print - 50% failure. I'm really thinking temperature may be the issue.
Back indoors, post a few pics of the awning on MRF, cup of tea then send some additional CCTV pics to the police.
Time for a nap.
Phone rings.
"Mr Mumford, are you going to collect your car?"
I'd completely forgotten about the damn car!
Senility finally confirmed.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Busy day indeed. Put your feet up today….. if you can. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

RogerB wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:03 am Busy day indeed. Put your feet up today….. if you can. R-
I wish.
Back at work tonight (apparently I have another set of CCTV to capture) and I've just been informed that we're out shopping this morning.
I need another holiday (8 days to our next trip to the frozen North - Whitby :D ).