This site and using a VPN

Questions about using the site
RAF96

Re: This site and using a VPN

Post by RAF96 »

I get UK TV provided in Cyprus on subscription by a VPN and a smart MAG box down the BB supplied by my local ISP.
I rely on Win Defender and Malwarebytes for general protection as recommended by my websites server host and so far so good.
The main pest is when downloading torrent files there are often unwanted add-ons that have to be purged.
Rob
Stese

Post by Stese »

if its only on the VPN, it sounds like a DNS issue. check the bookmarks are sane (type the full address in rather than use the bookmark.) also check the DNS setting on the VPN AND your devices. (they should only usr the router for DNS since you are on VPN).

if not, ask the VPN provider.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Stese wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm if its only on the VPN, it sounds like a DNS issue. check the bookmarks are sane (type the full address in rather than use the bookmark.) also check the DNS setting on the VPN AND your devices. (they should only usr the router for DNS since you are on VPN).

if not, ask the VPN provider.
Thanks for reply. I intend to ask the provider in the new year. No rush as I said before this is the ONLY site affected. Was hoping to hear from anyone else using a VPN but no matter.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
southernfan2

Post by southernfan2 »

Like RAF, we use a VPN here in Portugal it allows us to watch BBC I Player and other TV players by disguising the fact we are in Portugal. We also can watch UK TV on the internet with an online box. but apart from that do not need to use a VPN for other sites, including this one.
Ginger The Hutt

Post by Ginger The Hutt »

Morning.

I use a VPN and there is no issue with this site for me.

I use NordVPN if that is any help.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Ginger The Hutt wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:14 am Morning.

I use a VPN and there is no issue with this site for me.

I use NordVPN if that is any help.
Thanks Ginger, that IS interesting. Still not working for me. I probably need to change something in the set-up. I'll raise a supprt ticket with ipVanish later this week.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

southernfan2 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:52 am Like RAF, we use a VPN here in Portugal it allows us to watch BBC I Player and other TV players by disguising the fact we are in Portugal. We also can watch UK TV on the internet with an online box. but apart from that do not need to use a VPN for other sites, including this one.
Thanks for the reply Southern.
Stese

Post by Stese »

its possible that the site software is blocking the incoming connection from you, teedoubleudee...

Brian may have blocked the range of IP's that ipVanish use... not knowing you use it.

are you getting a 403 or 404 error or anything back at all?
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Stese wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:26 pm its possible that the site software is blocking the incoming connection from you, teedoubleudee...

Brian may have blocked the range of IP's that ipVanish use... not knowing you use it.

are you getting a 403 or 404 error or anything back at all?
Hi Stese, just get a time out:

"The connection has timed out

The server at www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Try Again"

It's not a Firefox problem as it gives same results using Microsoft Edge.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Hello Terry..............I did not know about VPNs or what they did so I Googled it and had a read and did a little learning. Reading through two things came to mind. When reading about VPNs and why they were developed and what had been developed. Then I noticed that Ginger the hut said he was using one and had no problem with this site at all. First thing I read about the development of VPNs was there are several available free and paid versions. Not all worked as well as others. I believe you said Terry that you were using a free version. Perhaps that is the problem. If you get a paid version it may perform better. Now please dont shoot the messenger, as I am only passing on the information I have read about the products. Perhaps you should have a read through sites like c-net. Often good place to start.
Just thought you may be interested in the info I found by sniffing around the web. John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John