Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Chops

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Chops »

Finally bagged me a DMU, a beautiful Lima set that runs splendidly. Courtesy of Mountain Goat. Featured in "Where's Nessie," under "Henley."
Paul Palmer

Post by Paul Palmer »

all 00 gauge
Bachmann freightliner HHA wagons
dapol freightliner HIA wagon
Hornby railroad ews wagon for an experiment/trial
Bachmann accessories ,oil barrels,tmd depot set,commercial bins and jacks
footplate1947

Just purchased this BOB

Post by footplate1947 »

Lord Beaverbrook.jpg
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Nice one John - I was after Hornby 222 Squadron on ebay this week - it was a light hearted effort though - I put a bid in with a few seconds to go, and was outbid by £2 - there will be others. Barry
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Treat to myself for Christmas...…..a Heljan Class 23 Baby Deltic……..first Green Diesel to join my fleet and destined to operate out of the forthcoming Railway Heritage Centre on my layout...…….nice little loco, which showed a rapid turn of pace when I gave it a quick test on the track earlier...….doesn't seem to have working lights so will need to look into that, but it might be to do with the cheap 8 pin decoder I had kicking around.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Should have working lights. Mine has a lit headcode at one end and red lights at the other on DC.
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Go on laugh you lot................Just bought this and I love it, :lol: and probably the only person who will say something nice will be MG..............Jhon
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

footplate1947 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 pm Image

Go on laugh you lot................Just bought this and I love it, :lol: and probably the only person who will say something nice will be MG..............Jhon
I am not laughing at you. I have two of them on my Sovereign Street layout.. They are great runners.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It’s a pretty colour.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

footplate1947 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 pm Image

They are lovely. Mine have had a battering which I don't mind, as I purchased mine for the chassis. Only used one so far though. (I may have a spare Triang body if someone is interested, if one doesn't mind the odd broken bufferbeam or damaged steps etc. All going to plan I may have more then one spare. I also have the odd Hornby 0-4-0 body spare as well). They hve a nice solid rigid chassis. With most of them the wheel flanges are a little too deep but this can be rectified with a bit of work, by buying a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis and using the wheels, gears and motor from it. The Triang locos to go for have the later smaller motors which sit on a cradle. Modern motors can be strapped onto this using a cable tie. The older motors are actually very good in my oppinion, but as the modern axle diameter is slightly thinner then the old one, one has to get round the issue of the gears as the cog part will have a hole too large for the new axle. One can slightly (Do this by hand. Dont turn the drill on but hold the drillbit in the drill chuck and gently turn by hand) open out the axle holes in the new wheels to fit the old axles. One will have to make new pickups so one has pickups on both sides.
If using the new thinner axles, they work fine in the chassis which was designed for the wider axles as there is only a small difference. There is a small amount of play but nothing too large to be concerned about. The axle spacing of the Triang locos and the Hornby locos is the same so the same con rods can be used.
The only thing to remember if one is going to look for a Hornby chassis to use with the Triang frame is to look to see if the Hornby chassis has pistons or not. One can just remove the piston rods but then one has extra wide crank pins, so best to get the correct donor chassis to begin with if one is intending to use the Triang body and frame.

I have to say though that the best option is to retain the Triang loco as is and find a lathe to turn down the flanges a little. Needs a decent lathe as those wheels are tough things.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...