Hornby R7229 Analogue Train and Accessory Controller

Walkingthedog

Re: Hornby R7229 Analogue Train and Accessory Controller

Post by Walkingthedog »

Do you agree FB that you should never change a loco direction without stopping it first?

If the cheaper controllers are more likely to be used by youngsters, interlocking the direction and speed control is a good idea.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I also agree BUT, with the grey version of the Hornby controller one puts it at what one thinks is zero and one can't move the reversing switch. One has to almost hold the speed knob at the zeroest position before the reversing switch will throw. With Gauge master or other makes one just turns the knob until the train stops (Which may not be zero but close enough) and then throw the reversing switch. The Hornby controller gets frustrating in use if one tries shunting!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Walkingthedog wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm Do you agree FB that you should never change a loco direction without stopping it first?

If the cheaper controllers are more likely to be used by youngsters, interlocking the direction and speed control is a good idea.
Of course I do.. However, there are a great number of DC controllers that use a non interlocked direction switch - Gaugemaster are among those! But they normally have a central Off position which at least removes track power and electrical motor powered rotation, even if only for a split second.
Mountain Goat wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 am I also agree BUT, with the grey version of the Hornby controller one puts it at what one thinks is zero and one can't move the reversing switch. One has to almost hold the speed knob at the zeroest position before the reversing switch will throw. With Gauge master or other makes one just turns the knob until the train stops (Which may not be zero but close enough) and then throw the reversing switch. The Hornby controller gets frustrating in use if one tries shunting!
The mechanical interlock is poor and takes some fiddling to locate it! I just find this Hornby controller (at least the former model) of poor design. Kiddies train set comes to mind!!! If you want a DC controller look at Gaugemaster or Morley Neither are cheap. but you get what you pay for!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole. Love my Gaugemasters. :)
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It was a case with me that the trainset I saw was where I worked (Which never has been known to sell trains) were for sale at a reasonable price. They had then been reduced in price again to below Hattons prices. I had staff discoun't on top so I couldn't not buy it could I! :D
The controller was part of the set. I wouldn't go out to buy that controller on its own unless it was a price not to be missed. Out of choice I would buy either a hand held or a panel mounted controller from Guagemaster or one of the smaller companies. I did see a beautiful panel controller with a lovely toggle switch to chqnge direction. It had a black metal panel but I can't remember who made it. It was a small time manufacturer. Panel and handheld controllers normally need a seperate transformer.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...