One born every minute.......

A place for real railway discussions.
Mountain Goat

Re: One born every minute.......

Post by Mountain Goat »

I realise the damage. I have spent many hours stuck on trains after lorry loads have hit bridges. Once after about an hour and a half awaiting a bridge inspection down West Wales, I looked down and saw the wreckage. It was on a part of dual carriageway where a low loader had been carrying a large digger that had caterpillar tracks. The tracks had been ripped clean off the vehicle and it was on its side in a mangled state. The lorry itself did not look damaged. The top of the arm of the digger had hit the bridge hence the carnage. The carnage was a good distance from the bridge itself so the lorry must have been going at speed. Queues of traffic could be seen on the opposite side. It was a strange one as the large tall lorries go under that bridge with plenty of room to spare.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

A few years ago I saw an incident on the M6 where the driver of a tipper wagon hadn't realised that the back of his lorry wasn't full down and it had hit an overbridge.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

You dont need the best of qualifications to get job driving tippers. They have always been well known for demolishing bridges. ....John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

We have a small hinged bollard at the end of our drive because we just seem to be at the point on the crescent where some people seem to want to do a three point turn, which they cannot seem to manage without driving either up our drive or the neighbours.

Last week we had a delivery and the plank of a van driver managed to reverse over the bollard and get his van hooked up. This is despite it is bright yellow and he walked past it twice making the delivery. It's a small crescent it's quicker to simply drive round than try a manoeuvre. :evil:

Richard
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

About a year or two ago, A delivery company gave the driver the pargest possible van that one can drive and still call a van. It was a very long Mercades and the overhang was the lwngth of some small cars. He tried to turn here but had to go half way round the house. He reversed i to the field and got it stuck as the wheels sunk in. I had to rescue it by towing it out with our old 4WD lawn mower.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...