Track options

Help with designing your track work
Rodent

Track options

Post by Rodent »

Hi, I've recently come back to railway modelling after a gap of at least 30years. I have a space about 5m x 5m and would like to build a dcc layout, starting with a couple of 8ft boards and then expand it as time permits. I've done a bit of reading and am thinking of using peco code 75 bullhead flexible track, electro frogs and dcc control by roco z21 controller. Does this sound sensible for a newbie? I'm an engineer so quite happy with electronics, soldering etc.
footplate1947

Re: Track options

Post by footplate1947 »

You certainly have a very nice space for the new layout. You will soon get used to the changes and new products available since you were last doing into hobby. First thing to do is decide what sort of plan you have in mind I would get the main line down and expand it as I went along. Get levels sorted and not even think about scenic until track, banks and bridges are all up and running. Then you can go for end play. :lol: Seems you have a good few years building fun ahead of you. Have fun.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

hi, there are those on here who have the Z21, and will no doubt give you the pros and cons. You do see a lot for sale on ebay. which suggests they are not for all.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It all depends on what you want to run. If you want to run older and modern models, then code 100 is for you. If you are keeping to modern models made within the last 15 years or so, then code 75 will be fine. Some of the older models need code 100 track as the wheel flanges are deeper. A few older models should work on code 75. Mainline springs to mind.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

Thanks everyone, great information.
I thought code 75 was about aesthetics, didn't know there was a wheel flange issue. I think I'll probably be looking at new-ish loco's, though I guess it applies to rolling stock too.
Yelrow, I like the Z21 as it allows iPad control so seems quite future-proof. My 10 yr old daughter wants to get involved so the iPad thing is important to us.
Footplate1947, when you speak of levels, do you mean scenery/hills/bridges etc?. I've been wondering how to do this as some uTube vids show laying track first and other focus on getting the scenery layer sorted out first? The layout I have in mind has several bridges and a 7 span viaduct that and I haven't worked out how this will be planned yet.
Rodent
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Z21 or z21? There is quite a bit of difference and not just the price and the colour. ;)
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

Not really sure Rog. I don't really understand the differences except that the programming track option on the Z21 looks useful?
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

I have the Z21 and really do like it. It's not restricted to iPads either and will also run on smart phones as well as integrating into computer control systems such as iTrain quite easily if you want that route later. You can also share the layout via the app with friends plus password protect it so changes can't be made to the configuration.

It does have it's faults, but then show me one system that doesn't and I would say it's not for everyone, but so far I have no complaints. Roco do release updates for the system as well as for the app so I think you are right about the future proofing. I also find that configuring CVs is really straight forward and intuitive. It also allows other wired controllers to be connected if you want to have a more tactile experience.

I did do a first impressions review of it on the old forum which I will at some point redo on here. If you can, go for the Z21 rather than the z21
Hope that helps.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

Thanks Mr Bones, that's great info. I hadn't really thought about the 'tactile experience' of a traditional controller. I've watched YouTube reviews and I like the Z21. Hopefully funds will stretch to the black version.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Rodent - you mention that you have about 5mx5m of space available, and perhaps starting with a couple of eight foot boards. As your still at the planning stage, are you going around the room, layout positioned so you can walk around it, how high from the floor etc. Remember you can only reach so far comfortably - my layout runs around three sides of a 10x7 room, the boards are two feet wide (deep?) and stand about a metre from the floor - I can reach the back easily. You mentioned a viaduct, best way would be to have a dropped board where the viaduct is going.You are obviously keen to get started, but there are a number of things to consider that can make life easier as you progress. I use Peco Code 75 and all of my loco's are post 2000, I have had no problems with flange depth. You will have to think about points - standard or electrofrog. Not all items of track are yet available in bull-head.
Have fun - but think ahead. BB