black 5 loco/ tender connection

clubman2b

black 5 loco/ tender connection

Post by clubman2b »

I have problem with connection between loco and tender on my Hornby R2811 4-6-0 class 5 . The connection is so hit and miss .Has anyone modified the connection to a plug and socket and if so are there any instructions available
Walkingthedog

Re: black 5 loco/ tender connection

Post by Walkingthedog »

Can’t find R2811. Are you sure that is correct?

When you say hit and miss what do you mean. Always thought it was pretty straight forward?
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I was just going to ask the same question I cant find any reference either.
If you tell us the loco cab number perhaps we can find it from that. Also is it red or black..............
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
clubman2b

Post by clubman2b »

sorry typing error should be R2881
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Service sheet is HSS 247 B
If this is the loco it has motor in the loco and wired connection with connection to the draw bar which connects to the tender. On the tender 2 feelers connections (top) connect and one lower connect to pin connector tender underside front. There are pickups on tender which collect current from the wheels on tender and also same on the loco. A lot of pick ups to clean and adjust. No quick cure here I am afraid. You will have to go through the lot. Make sure that all the contacts are clean and the tender one are in proper contact with wheels. The Draw bar on back of loco has 2 wires soldered to the contacts. Make sure the wires are not broken off anywhere if they are will need to be soldered back in place. To check this you will have to remove loco body.
Make sure the Draw Bar contacts are not bent and contact with the tender both top and bottom. If the Draw Bar contacts are bent or broken you could buy new one (very cheap) and solder new one to the wires. Make sure you check which wire goes where before you disconnect them. Or check with the service. This model is about as complicated as loco pick ups can be, so there are lots to check. If you don't fancy doing it yourself then find a service agent and send it off for a service. Normally about £15 pluss P&P.
I think Hornby offer the service but dont know there charges give them a ring.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Just to add. I have that loco and others and she works lovely. If you want to extend the 2 wires from the loco to the tender it is easy enough just longer wires and solder hem to tender pick ups. Or you could fit plug and socket but bit of faff getting those little plugs out when you want to put loco back in box. I would just extend permanent wires. I think it would go back in box. But if you sort out the proper contacts you should have no trouble. Mine works fine.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have quite a few locos with the same system and they are fine.

Exactly what problem are you having?
Nurse, the screens!
clubman2b

Post by clubman2b »

The full title is Hornby R2881 black 5 5112 l m s black livery(not sound). The problem is when attaching the tender to the loco the connection often does not pass current and I have to detach and re attach a number of times until power is passed.It seems that there is a plug and socket arrangement which can be obtained which could make the connection more positive .The track and loco wheels have been cleaned and when current gets through the loco runs very well.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi
Reading you comments I think you're saying the tender to loco connection is by a pin and contact plate on the tender and on the loco are a pair of fingers that rub upwards onto the plate and another pair of fingers that grip around the pin when the two are coupled together. Is this correct?

If so, Initially and ideally using a fibre pencil, clean the tenders pin all round and then both sides of the contact plate. Then on the loco again using the fibre pencil carefully clean the tips of all four fingers.
With the aid of a pair of Tweezers or fine long nosed pliers gently bend the pin gripping pair of fingers inwards so as they will create greater grip onto the pin when its inserted. Then ensure the two upward facing finger a tweak to ensure they press lightly onto each side of the tenders contact plate when the two are mated. Note these two fingers MUST NOT be allowed to touch the centre pin connection.

Once all this has been done the two should mate faultlessly together. On my old Hornby 9F tender drive I replaced the two sets of contacts / fingers with fine wire linking between tender and loco, but this did mean the two were always coupled together. Today micro connector two pin plug & sockets are available which would over come this.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

It is up to you if you want to put plug on it but that will require a new tender chassis and plug lead which will cost you as much as sending it away for Hornby to service it I expect, also the plug and socket is a complete different tender design and new tenders or not cheap. I dont know if the plug socket chassis will fit you tender top. As said they are 2diferent tenders I think.