Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Walkingthedog »

If you think coaches are expensive take a look at this.

I have 9 of these that cost me about £8 each over a period of time.

https://hattonshobbies.com/products/br- ... 3350361182
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Yes Brian £42 for a 4 wheel chassis wagon does seen a lot. I would wait and find em on ebay. I guess the excuse is because the detail is much finer. OK yes I will go with that, but not that much more with that. In saying that we go out to eat and think nothing of spending £50 or more for the two of us. Can remember when you could get a nice meal for 3/6d . For the younger members that is 3 shillings and 6 pence. About 17 p ...My pensions don't seem to go up at the same rate though.... :lol:
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The ones I have look identical to the picture. Ridiculous price. It’s not as if they work or have lights.
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I agree Brian I would not buy at that price. I never pay more usually than about £4 or £5 for any wagon. Not new of course. I do fancy that new
Bachmann Brake down Crane that comes out later in year. Will pay more for that.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

That’s over 200 quid.
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Is it that much. I had not seen the price . Will probably wait till one comes up on e bay then :D Patients is a virtue. My dad was always saying that.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Walkingthedog wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am If you think coaches are expensive take a look at this.

I have 9 of these that cost me about £8 each over a period of time.

https://hattonshobbies.com/products/br- ... 3350361182
It is almost as if the manufacturers are trying to price their customers out of the market? With those wagons one really needs about 14 of them or more to model a realistically sized train. I think I reasoned that I would need 14 just to hope to replicates shorter version of the prototype, though the prototype I wanted to replicate was in the 1980's so they would look quite rusty and not be yellow!
Can you imagine the cost of buying a rake of these wagons? I recently saw another bogie wagon from another manufacturer in 00 gauge advertised at £85 each and the prototype pulls around 30 to 40 (Usually just under 40) a time. Let's say one buys just 15 of them. That is £1275. Are they worth the price? To be honest, unless every wagon is individually hand built I have to say no.
I would buy secondhand wagons and tart them up. It is more rewarding.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

How youngsters are expected to afford getting into the hobby with prices going up this quickly I do not know. £42 for a 4 wheeled wagon and £52 for a Birdcage coach from Backmann, I have not looked to compare this years Hornby prices for similar items. Why to make up a train they need to get a bank loan.
I thought Hornby a few years ago had a good plan with the the Railroad range, but that seems to have fizzled out with not much being made available at reasonable prices. Why they should be able to remake some of the older locos and rolling stock cheaply to offer RR models for youngsters who cant afford detailed models intended for the advanced modellers. But they seem to just churn out new models lacking finish such as less lining and livery detail and call them RR and knock a few quid off the price. But often they are still not affordable. Somebody is missing the point here. May bee it is me.................John
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Loads of stuff in the Railroad range John with plenty of new items this year.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brand ... lroad.html
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Yes Brian there is quite a bit of stuff in the RR range, long as it is in stock of course. Perhaps it is me but I think a lot of the stuff is over priced.
One example I think of is the Peppercorn £135 Why only last year it was about £80 By heck that is inflation is it not. Not long before that they were almost giving them away. There is not much in the RR range which I would say was pocket money prices.
When I was young you could buy a wagon for 3 bob that is what I call pocket money prices. How much do kids get for pocket money now days ? You could buy a train set (Jinty goods set for £3.19,6d) That was birthday present money.