track cleaning

Help with designing your track work
Walkingthedog

Re: track cleaning

Post by Walkingthedog »

I refer you to my post above yours. No point in buying expensive products. IPA works perfectly.
Nurse, the screens!
miffy

Post by miffy »

IPA it is then!
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

rogerj wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:10 pm Don't know if I am in the right section but I have just bought a CMX track cleaner. The advice with the machine is that initially I should use something like acetone (nail varnish remover) and subsequently use IPA. Question is will acetone affect sleepers,plastic on points etc? Advice on this would be appreciated especially just what should I put in the CMX?
Just seen an video on the uTube about the CMX. They implied that the advice is to clean the inside of the cleaner with acetone before using it the first time on your track to clean out any residual oil left inside from the manufacturing process. Once that is done use which ever cleaning product you choose, IPA or Goo-Gone. That might explain the acetone reference.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Makes much more sense. Thanks for that Mr Bones. :)

I use IPA 99.9% from ebay sellers in my CMX which is now well over ten years old and still doing a grand job!
Ensure you only obtain the 99.9% variety as lower strengths contain water.
IPA is of course excellent for wheel and rear of wheel cleaning and also removing any rosin flux (Built into multi cored solder) residue when electrical soldering is undertaken.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Chops

Post by Chops »

Like many things, everyone has their preferred method. I've used Lionel Strange's method of
using Wahl Hair Clipper Oil. Cheap and supremely effective.

Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

With a steam only fleet it is always difficult finding a loco or locos to push a CMX around. I usually have to make a consist of a 28XX and 57XX to push the thing, especially with gradients. Thinking of fitting a 4-6-0 County I have with battery and radio control to pull it round
Peter
Ron S

Post by Ron S »

Chops wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 am Like many things, everyone has their preferred method. I've used Lionel Strange's method of
using Wahl Hair Clipper Oil. Cheap and supremely effective.

And I have used that Oil for years - regularly running means I don't have to clean track, etc for 12 months or more.
But no good for locos with traction tyres.
Ron

NCE DCC, 00 scale, very loosely based on GWR
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Hello Chops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have always been careful with which oils I buy for models where plastic is part of the model. Some oils can do horrible things to plastic, so I buy plastic safe oils from model shops. I have noticed that some model oils sold for models don't say much about use with plastic and one assumes that they are ok because they are sold by a model retailer.
One of the few oils which gives all its spec in its adverts is Delta synthetic oil which does say it is suitable for use with metal and plastics. It is reasonable price and comes in 30ml squeezable bottles. I am trying some out now. I am not saying all the others are not as good, but just saying that the others don't give much info about the suitability of the product for use with plastic. Whale oil in my opinion is very good for metal clipper blades for which it is intended. It does not say on any advert I have seen that it is suitable for use with plastic models. And most of our models are various plastics. All I am saying is if you want to buy the best oils for your models always buy oil which is sold for the purpose.
Why should you need an oil to clean track, don't see the connection.........John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Ron S

Post by Ron S »

The Wahl Hair clipper oil has been used by modelers in the USA from the late 1950's if reading Model Railroader & Railroad Model Craftsman is anything to go by.
Once the rail head, etc cleaned by a good rubber like Roco/Flieschmann after painting rail & ballasting, a few drops of Wahl oil is spread by wheels and not only does it keep the track electrically working, it also has a slight adhesion capability.
Of course if the layout is only run a couple of hours a month, the oil may harden especially in the heat of 30C plus.
As my layout is used at least twice a month for 2-3 hours per time, it survives for 12 months before I give a good clean with the previously mentioned Roco, etc then a new few drops of oil is good for the next 12 months.
Ron

NCE DCC, 00 scale, very loosely based on GWR
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

My track is clean without using any cleaner apart from the occasional rub with IPA if a small dirty patch appears. It can be a couple of years between a thorough clean. Metal wheels is the secret to clean track.
Nurse, the screens!