Modelling On A Shoestring.

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Mountain Goat

Re: Modelling On A Shoestring.

Post by Mountain Goat »

Very nice. Looks the part.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Lindyloo

Post by Lindyloo »

When I started my railway layout I was intending to do the whole thing for £50 :lol: :lol: :roll: Not including the trains obvs or the baseboard or track, purely the scenery and buildings. This was hastily revised to £100 which means I have to scratch build everything and be very inventive. For example the other day I noticed the zip locks from zip lock bags make very good litter bins once weathered :lol: :lol:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Things always cost a little more then expected and it is why cost cutting measures can be important.
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

Just to add a few things I have done to save a penny or two when it comes to the railway;

Baseboard - The top was made from 2 x wardrobe doors, 3 x sheets of ply from a pallet, spare T&G chipboard loft boards and a 3mm fibreboard from back of wardrobe (to make up depth of the doors to match the loft boards.

The forest floor was made using contents from tea-bags - I found the redbush variety looked better than the standard PG Tips!

The static grass applicator was built following Luke Towan's guide on You-tube and cost under £25 in total. Most of that was on the Neg Ion Gen posted from Australia. The rest was made from a plastic peanut tub, an old sieve (mesh), some 50mm plastic pipe, a spare 12v power supply and a spare on-off switch. Even with buying all of the components, it would have been less than £40 and gives the same results as a £100 plus model.

Trees use twigs from a hedge, drilled with small holes and sea-foam inserted, topped with various flocks. Much cheaper than proprietary trees.
twalton1145

Post by twalton1145 »

IanLMS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm Just to add a few things I have done to save a penny or two when it comes to the railway;

The static grass applicator was built following Luke Towan's guide on You-tube and cost under £25 in total. Most of that was on the Neg Ion Gen posted from Australia. The rest was made from a plastic peanut tub, an old sieve (mesh), some 50mm plastic pipe, a spare 12v power supply and a spare on-off switch. Even with buying all of the components, it would have been less than £40 and gives the same results as a £100 plus model.
Hi Ian,
I used the same guide but bought the 6 way switch he suggested and am scared to wire it up! :oops: If you have used a simple on-off switch, could you please let me know how you wired it?
TIA
Ted
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Lovely modelling IanLMS.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I agree.
mijj

Post by mijj »

Lovely layout, well done :) .
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

twalton1145 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm
IanLMS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm Just to add a few things I have done to save a penny or two when it comes to the railway;

Hi Ian,
I used the same guide but bought the 6 way switch he suggested and am scared to wire it up! :oops: If you have used a simple on-off switch, could you please let me know how you wired it?
TIA
Ted
I have attached a diagram but not sure if it helps much. Much better to follow his first edition video where he used a simple slide switch.
AviatorAtHeart

Post by AviatorAtHeart »

Lovely layout?
The treats are hanging off the walls!

A lanc and a pair of f15s........

:roll:
Nice art.