00 Gauge short shunting/through layout

Help with designing your track work
alexjhill1987

00 Gauge short shunting/through layout

Post by alexjhill1987 »

Hello all and welcome to a proposed layout I am planning.

as the topic says it will be 00 gauge and for shunting, but also allow for running stuff through, I am planning on having fiddle yards at both ends with a scenic section in the middle which is approximately 54 inches by 16 (maybe 17 cant stretch to 18 sadly) inches.

Here is a rough idea of what I am talking about

I am thinking that single car units like 128 and 121 can pass through, and maybe even get a coach or two shunted past just operational interest, other than that just an 03 shunting goods round ready for a 25 to come and take it away, that's actually all the locos I have and want to have at this time, all BR Blue. like a built up area behind it, very industrial, maybe think areas of manchester where industry would be right up against the tracks, one would have a wagon loaded and then be moved about.

Please let me know of ideas and ways to improve it, I am literally not great at designing plans, I may have overdone it with the amount in the space I have.

It would all be done with code 75 peco track.

Thanks in advance
Walkingthedog

Re: 00 Gauge short shunting/through layout

Post by Walkingthedog »

Pity that trains on the bottom through line right to left are unable to access the sidings without reversing.
Nurse, the screens!
alexjhill1987

Post by alexjhill1987 »

Any ideas how to alter it?
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

To be honest if a train enters the sidings forward it will have to reverse out. I guess I was just thinking out loud.
Nurse, the screens!
alexjhill1987

Post by alexjhill1987 »

I have spent a portion of today scouring track plans, prototypes and similar to help with my layout ideas.
Spent a few hours on youtube and have borrowed a track plan and modified it slightly to fit the space I have and also simplify the number of points in the space.

It needs a little more work, but it is getting to more than an ideas stage, it has a bit of shunting but I still need a main line to run things past as well whilst shunting and to take some of the stock off after the shunter has done its work and formed the train.
AustralianLMS

Post by AustralianLMS »

Using a RH point instead of a Y will straighten out that back stretch. It should also give you better spacing between the main lines. As well as shortening the distance between the back RH point and the double slip.

You want the back RH point and the three way point to be as close to the edge of base board as possible.

Using a three way point is not required as the double slip will supply a mainline cross over. Single slip makes more sense. (I think?)

Every layout wants more length and less width.

Post note ....... I am not an expert.
alexjhill1987

Post by alexjhill1987 »

I forgot to actually update this as I went, I have settled on a plan, its a modified inglenook shunting puzzle with a station and hidden sidings.
The plan is fairly simple but offers some running potential