Shelf Layout

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Chrishans

Re: Shelf Layout

Post by Chrishans »

Hey guys,

Just thought I’d post a quick update. I’ve come up with a few layout plans using basic CAD techniques. I’ve included some pics below and I’ve used them to find a way of best utilising the space I have, without it feeling crowded.

I’m trying my best to be as methodical with the track laying as possible. I’ve made many mistakes with track laying in the past which I’m hoping to avoid haha.

On Saturday I plan to work out the fiddle yard area and install a tunnel cutting it off from the rest of the layout. I’m also half tempted to redo the back scene as parts of it are slightly bubbly.

I’ve also glued down most of the underlay for the track, as I just feel the track looks better when it’s above the height of the board. It also helps make creating a ballast shoulder easier. Anyway, that’s it for now, and hopefully I’ll have another update for you guys either Saturday night or Sunday.

Chris

Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Doing a great job there! I use wire in tube and it seems pretty failsafe - should be easy for you to install on such a narrow board.
Chrishans

Post by Chrishans »

Evening all.

I’ve taken it upon myself to completely redo the back scene to battle all the air bubbles. So, last weekend I ripped it off and stuck on a new one using a paste from my local model shop. The back scene crumpled at the edges and dried too quickly for me to line it up properly. Total disaster, however this weekend I ripped it off again and started over once more, this time using a backscene with a peelable backing which made a world of difference. So much easier and looks far better. There is a crease which is beyond redemption, but as luck would have it, it’s appeared in the spot where I’ll be putting a signal box so hopefully, it will be well hidden.

I’ve also bought some resin station buildings, which were an absolute bargain of £28. £3 for the gents toilet block, £5 for the ladies toilet block, £10 for the main building and £10 for the waiting room. Turns out they were so cheap because they didn’t come in boxes, and apparently some people are put off by this. Doesn’t particularly bother me so I thought I’d snap them up.

I bought a packet of milk churns as well and I’m aiming to buy some platform accessories- benches, suitcases, weighing scales, flower beds and a water crane.

I’ve attached some pics below of the most recent backscene and station. All comments welcome and I hope you all enjoy your week.

Chris

An

RogerB

Post by RogerB »

All looks very good - well done. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Agree with Roger, looks really good. Goes to show you don't need a huge layout to achieve something that looks so good. Well done indeed.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Hello Christans it is very nice work indeed....I like very much the Station buildings...............John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

As others have mentiond, it is looking good. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I also agree with others - looks very good, and goes to show what can be achieved in a relatively small space.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I agree with the other comments. The station building is very impressive and the time spent getting the backscene right appears to have paid off.
Chrishans

Post by Chrishans »

Wow guys. I wasn’t expecting this kind of response. It’s a little overwhelming actually. It was basically a case of trial and error mind, but I guess that’s what all model railways are.