My layout

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Carl L

Re: My layout

Post by Carl L »

Well impressed, someone after my own heart, a long continuous run and ample sidings. Is that 3 circuits to get round the layout?

Being at a similar stage I'll be interested to see how the ballasting comes along.

As others have said, look forward to more images.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

I have done some ballasting but a little disappointed that the grey ballast goes much darker after gluing with PVA,it may look ok once the rest of the scenery is in place and I can always touch it up with some paint if I need to. I have posted a pic of my first attempt at making a test section of the the embankments using a grass applicator for the first time.The tree fell over just as I took the picture. I can’t remember how many lengths of flexitrack I have used but the trains take a fair time to complete a circuit.
On the level part of the layout the loco will travel one and a half circuits anti-clockwise wise then across the middle of the layout to travel clockwise for one and a half circuits, it then climbs up the incline and around the outside track for a complete circuit on the upper level then down the left incline into a tunnel and runs under the layout which goes around the room underneath,it loops back and runs up out of the tunnel now running anti-clockwise, it travels around the upper level and down the incline to the level part and starts it’s journey all over again. If I want to I can change some points and have trains running on the level circuit only without them climbing up and down the inclines which adds to the fun. When I first started planning the layout I wanted to see four trains running through a station on four tracks passing in different directions and not the same train passing the platform on the same line each time. Well after a lot of paper and pencil Drawing I came up with my plan. It does keep you on your toes when you are running six trains and I have had a few mishaps but I think I have it all under control at last. If I can squeeze it in I will be adding a shuttle system for two trains running up and down on a separate line without me having to worry about them.
Will post more pictures as I progress.
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

That doesn’t look bad at all.
I found that building up two or three layers of static grass using WWS layering spray and different shades works best. Look at your backscene - there’s a big clump of stubble/straw in the middle which can be replicated by using a burnt autumn grass/barley static mix as the last layer.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you Steve a very good piece of advice I will get some and give it a go.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Not perfect but this hillside has at least three different shades and lengths to give you an idea.

Image20200108_223538 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you Steve,I see what you mean with the different colours and lengths of grass it looks so realistic.
I will be building a small hillside in a corner over the tunnel so I hope you don’t mind if it looks very similar to your hillside. I have already built a cottage and purchased some farm animals but wasn’t sure how to stage it, your hill has given me some good ideas. I have been reading your posts in the mess room (slowing down) and wish you good luck.
Bob
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Embankments taking shape,ordered the static grass and working out how to build the hill over the tunnel in the left hand corner. Never done anything like this before and learning from my mistakes (learnt a lot lately) but I have always said the quickest way to learn how to swim is to jump in the deep end.

bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Bob - You can build your hill using polystyrene insulation board. I recently rebuilt my hill/tunnel using Jablite (Steve M recommended it) - it came in a pack of four sheets 1200x450x50 from B&Q (About £19) - it cuts easily with a sharp knife - I used a hot-wire - it can be a bit messy with a knife. Just build up to the level you require - I used No-Nails to stick the boards together - held in place with wooden kebab skewers. If your building in a corner, create a triangular shape to fit snugly into the corner and then a piece on the other side of the track, I used two boards (100mm) before I place a board across the top, therefore creating the tunnel. The whole thing was then covered with plaster bandage. You can see the finished result in the latest pictures on Wykeham in Members layouts. I can lift the complete hill/tunnel off the layout for cleaning the track. I used commercially available tunnel portals and these are glued (No-Nails) to the foam. All very simple and straightforward. BB
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Hi BB
Thank you for the advice very helpful.
I think I may have some insulation board lurking in a garage somewhere. We had an extension built a few years ago and when the builders finished they put all the useful bits of wood,plasterboard and left over materials in there so tomorrow I will be rummaging and hopefully hill making.
Bob
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Found some bits of wood and insulation board in the garage so had a go today, I will get a better picture of how it will look when I get some paint on. I can make it a bit higher if I think it needs it but looking up from the lower tracks it gives the appearance that the higher tracks has been cut into the side of the hill. I have not fixed the tunnel mouth as I need to paint it first