Aldi small drills offer

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Mr Bones

Re: Aldi small drills offer

Post by Mr Bones »

To be honest I've not had any issues with WorkZone tools. They might be cheep, but they do the job.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Depends how often and how hard you use them I guess.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Is that a challenge, need to look at my machine. It has a large selection of holes, into which , you add the drill. It goes down quite small, but you could well be right. Have not used it in years, cos been buying Cobalt tipped ones.
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:12 am Depends how often and how hard you use them I guess.
Some of the larger ones could possibly be used with a powered drill though you would be pushed to find a chuck accurately gripping below 1.6mm and then you would most likely be looking at Dremel type tool.

The set comes with a drill handle what appears to have a collet which is the only sensible way to grip such small drills. The info seems to suggest the collet will grip drills from 0.3 - 3.2mm which is quite a wide range for a single collet it will be interesting to see how well it does.

Richard
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have several small pin chuck type drills. They will hold minute bits.

Some of my bits are so small you can only tell which is the working end with a magnifying glass.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

I have a small parkside rechargeable screwdriver/ drill, which has a square chuck, also a set of stanley drills, which have square holders for drills. These holders have allen keys, which you can then fit alternative drills into. They go down to tiny size. Up to now, i have used this method, on my layout. Also, have 12 volt AEG, small drill, which accepts most things. Be interesting to see them when they come, via my son , in uk.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Cheap and nasty is sometime better than you may think? I bought a pair of garden shears (loppers) at LIDL for £4.99 - after six years I had to buy a new pair - now £7.99 at LIDL. So "cheap" usually does the job, but may not last forever. The drill and bits look fairly good for the price.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

So true.
My cheap and nasty wire strippers lasted many years and broke so I bought another pair exactly the same and they broke in exactly the same place donkeys years later. You just cannot get the quality.
In the end I bought a pucka set which will see me out.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I’m using the wire cutters issued to me in 1966 by the GPO.
Nurse, the screens!
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Having worked with tools all my life, I have always tended to buy quality tools that last, but in my sunset years that somehow does not seem so important anymore.

Richard