Somewhere in Yorkshire

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Phil s

Re: Somewhere in Yorkshire

Post by Phil s »

Many thanks for your comments guys.
I agree it does need some back scenes and the yard needs a good coat of dirt :D and will probably start on these areas next to improve it and give it more depth.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Looks really good Phil, well done.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Looking good Phil. Thanks for sharing.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Phil. A lovely looking layout you have there. Nice to have another Yorkshire based layout here. :)
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

You've got a lovely layout. I look forward to seeing more photos, especially of the viaduct - perhaps with a backscene sometime in the future, and the hopper wagons - you've got room for a dozen without them catching up with their tail. Terrific.
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Afternoon guys, many thanks for your comments. I've done a lot of thinking since first posting on here about your comments and agree with them that it's too "clean" needs dirt and weathering. This could be beyond my abilities but I feel like giving it a go, so watch this space.
Not done much these last few weeks, keep getting distracted with shunting or just running trains.
One thing I have done is a small experiment with a new ( to me) decoder, it's made by LaisDcc, which you can add a " stay alive" to it. The plan being is if their any good I would fit them in my 08 shunters, occasionally they do stall on the points in yard so thought a stay alive may be a fix.
Thought I'd fit it first to my ageing class37 (it only has pick ups on 4 of the 6 wheels and it's due a wheel clean). This would test the stay alive. The chip it's self is small

The othe r chip is a standard bachmann.
Fitting was straight forward, just plugged in and soldered the two stay alive wires to the wires from the chip.
Then gave it ago. Did it work.....
It did, but the speed kept changing (speeding up then down again). The stay alive worked ok, lift the loco off the track and it keeps running for about 6 seconds with lights on. Ran it up and down the yard over the troublesome point and never stalled. So not sure why speed changes will have to do a bit of digging on that before I get any more. But the stay alive seemed to work ok.
Any ideas greatly appreciated 😋
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi Phil,

I am sure the guys who have more experience than me will advise, but one the first things I have learned to check when a dcc loco misbehaves is whether DC running has been disabled....... this may or may not help you problem, but I think it is good practice to do on DCC.

This can be adjusted via the value of CV29 in programming mode on your dcc controller..... I was sent the attached link from another member of the forum a while back and it has helped fixed several problems for me, including changing what I want to be the No1 end when running forward

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Hope this helps - cheers Richard
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Thanks for that Richard, I'll give that a go later. To be honest these are a cheap decoder (£12) so could just simply be a case of you get what you pay for. It was worth a try though. :D
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Out of a personal interest regarding points, what type are you using?
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Hi Mick, my points in the yard are standard set track peco points. The rest of layout are peco streamline track and points. The lack of space dictated using set track in yard unfortuantly, its only these that give the odd problem.
All insurfrog and code 100