New layout

Help with designing your track work
andruec

Re: New layout

Post by andruec »

I think cabin fever is getting to me. I've just realised I could add another loop, by adding a third level. Two inclines back to the mezzanine allow it to be a double deck.

What I'm thinking is trestles carrying it. Rusty iron past the quarry and workerville, shiny steel past the office park and Withering heights.

It's a silly idea..but I'm sober and still thinking about for a future expansion.

:)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

More is not always the best way to go, I kept adding to my layout and regretted it. Removed lots in the end.
Nurse, the screens!
andruec

Post by andruec »

Yeah, I already have 'a lot' of track. I just had this vision of a line of trestles marching across the board and it seemed 'gloriously over the top' :)

Anyway it's going to be a long time before I feel confident making something like that. I doubt trestles are available off the shelf so we're probably talking a lot of construction and it'd have to be very good quality. Then there's the fact it makes access to the middle of the board even harder.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

i made my trestles from plastic sink waste pipe, (the smaller size). very simple to do. I then cut 8mm ply to fit on top. Then lay the track. You can paint the pipe to look like Girders.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Walkingthedog wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:23 pm More is not always the best way to go, I kept adding to my layout and regretted it. Removed lots in the end.
Just for the sake of interesting conversation, I rather agree with WTD, for my own interests. Complexity leads to more maintenance issues of every sort. The simpler it is, the more likely it will function more reliably. Learned that the hard way. Anything from simple dirt to micro warping of baseboards to flange depth to coupler binding are magnified exponentially with every new turnout and yard of track. My hat is off to those ingenious fellows who build layouts the size of Caledonia and
get them to hum exquisitely. For my taste, I try to keep it simple. :)

Still, an interesting concept. You might wish to plan in a gentle wave to the arrow straight main line. A little bend, like following a river course, adds visual drama.

I like your parakeet. Lovely birds. Name?