Just joined.

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Brian

Re: Just joined.

Post by Brian »

Ninemil wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm Hi 40metreman.
I've only been here a few days too but agree with everyone who's commented above about it being a useful and friendly place.
I'm re-starting my hobby again so reading lots of stuff on here.
Welcome to the forum!
That is so good to read. Thank you :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Ninemil

Post by Ninemil »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Ninemil wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm Hi 40metreman.
I've only been here a few days too but agree with everyone who's commented above about it being a useful and friendly place.
I'm re-starting my hobby again so reading lots of stuff on here.
Welcome to the forum!
That is so good to read. Thank you :D
It's true!
I've found myself reading stuff that I never even knew that I needed to know!

It's making me think about my own plans a bit deeper, which is probably a good thing. Better to sort things out while at the pencil and paper stage than further down the line...

Looking forward to actually getting started now.
footplate

Post by footplate »

Welcome to the forum. :D
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Welcome. I have never found a hobby like this hobby of ours which is soo diverse and involves so many different aspects that I could almost say I started in the hobby before I was born (Not really. It just seems like it!) and I am still loving it to this day! I may have changed tack in it a few times where each change has given me new inspiration which prevented my enthusiasm from drying out, but in all the years of being in the hobby, there is more I don't know then I know... So even today I find myself choosing what I need to learn that is relevent to me because there is just too much out there to find if one desires to look!

Example. Lets say I decide to buy a trainset and use that as the easiest route into the hobby and buy extra track and a couple more locos and stock, all bought factory made, and ready made pre painted buildings. I still have to learn about basic wiring and basic carpentey skills etc (Not too difficult to learn if one keeps things simple) and I have not even touched on scenery. And that is just the start. What I am saying is that each skill learned is such a blessing that if one goes on to master it, it can lead to other great things where each aspect there is always more and more.

Enjoy your new venture.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

How right you are MG
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
andruec

Post by andruec »

Learning skills (even if it's through mistakes) is a large part of why I like this hobby. Sure it's nice to be creative but for me a very large part is simply staving off boredom. I reckon I could have the perfect hobby situation now: Golf during the better months (every golfer is working on something they don't like, you're never 'finished') and railway modelling for the less clement times (and there's always something to do there I'm sure).

:)