Ballast noise

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Steve M

Re: Ballast noise

Post by Steve M »

teedoubleudee wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 pm
Bandit Mick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:40 am Is the layout on legs? If so, could you try standing each leg on some sort of insulating material e.g. thick underlay/carpet. Just a thought as my shed is carpeted and seems to reduce noise.
Carpeted shed, sheer luxury. Do you have a bar in there as well :D
Carpet, heating, air con, music, comfy chair. If there was a bar I’d never get anything done.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
alanch

Post by alanch »

Thanks for the replies. Interesting idea for legs and insulation. Should be easy and quick to do, but lots of other attachments to rafters which would be difficult. Could also persuade bedroom dwellers to leave home!
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

If you need to attach your layout to the rafters then it possible to make an acoustic barrier. The simple way is to sandwich to a piece of acoustic foam between two glued on pieces of ply. Screw through one ply into the rafter and screw through the other to the layout. As long as no screw passes directly through from layout to rafter it should provide some sound insulation. The result may not be as rigid as screwing directly through but with plenty of attachment points should be fairly rigid.

Richard
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

You don’t have carpeted sheds. Peasants!!!!!!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

My railway room has carpets, electric light, central heating and a window :lol: The benefits of having the spare bedroom. Joking aside, I agree that by putting some carpet under the baseboard legs could help deaden the noise. Although on a carpeted floor, the legs on my baseboards have adjustable feet which then stand on a 3" square of 12mm ply.
Chuffchuff

Post by Chuffchuff »

Might be a bit of a faff but you could try using styrene ( not polystyrene ball type) sheet under the ply base.

Rgds
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

I only have vinyl on the floor of my shed.