Sandy Lane

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
teedoubleudee

Re: Sandy Lane

Post by teedoubleudee »

Thank you. Looks like I need to experiment more.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I use a voltage regulator in my lighting circuit. Steve M put me onto them - £1.98 on ebay. They also act as an on-off switch. The lighting power supply is mostly 12v with 3vLED's all attached to resistors. I agree with TWD that the layout looks better when the natural light is beginning to fade and the layout lights are on.
I use an iPhone 8 for all of my pictures and videos.
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chippingford

Post by Chippingford »

Sounds good, how does that work? Have you got a link you could post?

Cheers
Ivi
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I could not find a link to an identical item on ebay, but have attached a picture of the regulator(s) (dimmer??) that I have on my mimic board which was not in use. Just pulled off the control knob, it clicks when going from off to on - two terminals from your PSU and two too whatever you are powering.
I bought them sometime ago, and have not had any problems at all - although the thread on the base of the knob only allows for about a 2 or 3mm board to be used for mounting. Some of the newer models appear to have an LED voltage indicator - not really necessary in this application as you just turn the lighting up or down to whatever suits you. Hope that is of some assistance.

I just found this on ebay (search Voltage Regulator Switch) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194363776222 ... SwAgBhQMu0

Do scroll through all of the items available - the prices do vary - they all appear to come from China, but free postage.

ImageIMG_1026 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Chippingford

Post by Chippingford »

Thank you for the info Bulliedboy, looks brilliant. I'll check them out tomorrow. It's been a loooong week at work!
Chippingford

Post by Chippingford »

Follow up to the card kit build video, this one about how I put the roof lights and street light in and then how I wired under the baseboard. Nothing revolutionary but the kind of film I would have appreciated when I was starting out.

https://youtu.be/k33Q5qsm7jg