Price increase

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Stese

Re: Price increase

Post by Stese »

RAF96 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:20 pm
Hornby need to get back to their railroad roots of providing sturdy, serviceable rolling stock at affordable prices.

Time for Hornby to wake up and smell the coffee or revert to flogging toy train sets for Xmas and birthdays.
whole heartedly agree with this... its where most get started in the hobby afterall. Their new play trains range is pointless as it isn't compatible with anything else.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

With all of these "new" prices, it will be interesting to see what happens with "still to be delivered" pre-orders. In January 2021 Hornby announced a "Club Exclusive" model R3837 Standard 2MT 78022 as preserved on the K&WVR and priced at £149.99. I ordered this loco at that time and received a confirmatory email from Hornby. A few weeks later this model "disappeared" from the list of loco's available to pre-order. There are now a number of Standard 2MT available to pre-order, in various liveries and numbers, but not R3837, and all priced in excess of £215.00. Hornby have in the past honoured the price at time of order, it will be interesting to see what happens this time. :roll:
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

I think this year will be very telling if Accurascale can successfully deliver their first mainstream loco, an extremely detailed and very exact Deltic with Sound and Stay alive fitted, for very much same price as Hornby are touting for their uninspiring base models.......If successful this will establish a new supplier of loco’s ( they already have rave reviews for their many wagons) and with multiple other projects in the pipeline ( including their first venture into steam), I suspect that this is where Hornby ( and the others) future competition lies ( I would also include SLW in a similar vein to Accurascale, but on a much smaller and select scale of operation).

Yes - the same level of pricing but a whole different league in terms of quality and detail - There are sufficient modellers who will find the cash and be prepared to pay for something distinctly better.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Walkingthedog wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 am Get a nice O gauge 0-6-0 for that money that weighs more than a brick.
That's the point. One may as well model in 0 gauge and get much better value for money for what one pays ones money for. If one has £250 to spend to start oneself off in rhe hobby and one comes across a 00 gauge loco and then sees an 0 gauge shunter at a similar price, I have to say that if I was a beginner it would be 0 gauge for me as one gets far more vlue for ones money. A simple wagon in 00 is getting so close to 0 guge prices that the only reason why one buys 00 is out of convenience and space. (If one does not know much about how to get around the issues).
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
loftman82

Post by loftman82 »

I was having a look for any post re prices and i know this one dates back to Jan.

i am just glad i started this hobby when i did and its not really that long ago. Looking around various shops its a bit of a shock whats on offer and for what price .

And what will it be like in another say 5 years
We'll meet again,don't know where,don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Crazy prices. When I swapped from OO to O at the beginning of 2020 I thought I must be mad considering the price of O gauge stock but now OO, particularly wagons, are about the same price as O.
Nurse, the screens!
dtb

Post by dtb »

Mmm so the retailer discount is now 5 to 10%, huh that used to be 15% which is what not only Hornby insisted on but Bachmann as well.

I have mostly what I want currently though I do have a sound fitted Class 56 and Hornby Black 5 on pre-order and something else that I can't remember which is worrying. :?
After a loco 'stocktake' recently I discovered I have a brand new Bachmann Class 37 and fitted with sound at some point, bonus!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Walkingthedog wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 am Get a nice O gauge 0-6-0 for that money that weighs more than a brick.
It depends on the brick, but yes. They do represent more reasonable value.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:15 pm Crazy prices. When I swapped from OO to O at the beginning of 2020 I thought I must be mad considering the price of O gauge stock but now OO, particularly wagons, are about the same price as O.
Yes. And this to me really puts things in perspective.

We know that prices are rising as the economies collapse as the more countries print money without a backing the more the economies fail. Same old same old throughout the known financial history of the world.

But I had long ago noticed that 00 gauge prices were over-rated foe what one aas actually getting for ones money. (I am not disputing the quality or the detail as I am disputing the price as it is still a mass produced production line product).
Now two things happen when the market leaders who may have "Thought" they had a monopoly between them at the time, when they increase the prices beyond what most people would see as reasonable, and the first is that people simply stop buying their products. The second is they create new opportunities for competitors to come into the market and cater for those who can no longer afford to buy... So this could be a Hornby Dublo and Triang situation all over again?
As yet, I see no "Triang" but we shall see as many toy manufacturers could easily alter production lines to adjust to this new market.
sandy

Post by sandy »

I am glad I have been collecting stock for a long time now because I think the price of rolling stock in OO gauge is getting rediculas. Glade I have most of my needs. OK the newer models are bit better detail than the older ones but they are good enough for me. Have noticed there is not a lot being sold on Ebay any more. I glean from that, that people are hanging on to what they have.
Sandy