DPDT switch

davidrivett

Re: DPDT switch

Post by davidrivett »

Thank you so much for the reply Brian.

Replacement locking DPDTs are on order so will use the diagram to install.

Appreciate your time taken and knowledge!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I preferred to use "ON-OFF-ON" instead of the "ON-ON" type if one had a single shared control panel so I could isolate individual cab control sections. (There is a way to wire for cab control using two controllers in different control desk areas (So each has a separate duplicate control panel) where one would need to use "ON-ON" switches so it depends on what one is doing but the conventional cab control single shared control panel way "ON-OFF-ON" switches are preferred though it is personal preference).

(Just for the information value, momentory switches used for point solenoids are shown as "(ON)-OFF-(ON)" and are not the right type of switches used in cab control as explained in this thread.... Not unless one wants to hold the things in position as one operates ones trains! Fingers and thumbs everywhere to do that! :D ).

I hope I am not confusing things?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Brian

Post by Brian »

I do not agree with the suggested use of On-Off-On switches on a double slip controllers selection, as you would not stable a loco on the DS itself! Therefore, trying to use the DS as a isolating section via the Off centre position is pointless (Pun intended!) :o ;)

A Centre Off toggle switch is ideal IMO for a section of track where cab control is used, as it allows total isolation of the section it switches regardless of either controllers output. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I was taught to use a double slip as a power feed? Trying to visualize what you said compared to where I had a double slip on my last layout which was a good 20 years ago. (Time goes fast!)
Brian

Post by Brian »

It really cant become an input power feed other than for its own length, as it shares two DC controllers and would in this case has IRJs on all exit rails. :D
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Uhmmm. I was looking at the plan and looking where I would put IRJ's as some of the places I would put them would include other points and would not just have the DS isolated on its own. May be different from how you would wire them? (Just thinking about theory). Is the DS insulfrog or electrofrog?
Brian

Post by Brian »

The OP said it was Insulated frog. It has two DC controller capable of feeding their power through the DS.
Eight IRJs are used on all DS rails and power to the DS is feed to the outer two stock rails via a 'Selection switch' On-On type that allows one controller to feed the DS at a time. Beyond the DS IRJs is a totally different matter. :D