R/C for 00

Nickk

Re: R/C for 00

Post by Nickk »

I know very little about 7mm narrow gauge bur it sounds right up my street with the opportunity to build your own locos My main interest is in GWR in 00 and I still have a couple of Airfix models my dad built chassis for that we uaed to run on out layout. So far as tender locos are concerned the sise problem comes with the length and width of the cells. They ar only about 8mm thick so if you can get 1 in you can get 3 in. I dont have the test gear sensitive enough for trains at the moment all my stuff is around aircraft where we regularly draw 30 - 150 amps at 22v or more but I dont reckon even my old stuff will draw much more than an amp so an 800mah pack should give about an hour sensible use. Balance charging - a lot of mythology used to surround lipo batteries when we first stared using them about 20 years ago. But it is really a necessity both for cell life and safety reasons. But its easy and all the modern chargers do it. They all pretty muxh use the same software and are very easy to use. I'm hardly the most careful person but have managed to avoid blowing myself up with 3+ Kw power systems lol. Suitable chargers are readily available I always used to use hobbyking.com but they closed the uk warehouse and shipping is a bit pricey. There's always overlander.co.uk or my old mates I used to fly for BRC hobbies now bought out by robotbirds.co.uk. If you can fit a ready made 3 cell pack in its all good its east to wire up the balance lead like this -https://www.precisionaerobatics.com/201 ... ipo-packs/
Viscount

Post by Viscount »

I use the kit from http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk. They have specific model railway radio modules. Excellent in every way. They also supply batteries, chargers, voltage converters and switch units. See my results on YouTube @OOElectronics.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Nickk wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:56 pm I know very little about 7mm narrow gauge bur it sounds right up my street with the opportunity to build your own locos My main interest is in GWR in 00 and I still have a couple of Airfix models my dad built chassis for that we uaed to run on out layout. So far as tender locos are concerned the sise problem comes with the length and width of the cells. They ar only about 8mm thick so if you can get 1 in you can get 3 in. I dont have the test gear sensitive enough for trains at the moment all my stuff is around aircraft where we regularly draw 30 - 150 amps at 22v or more but I dont reckon even my old stuff will draw much more than an amp so an 800mah pack should give about an hour sensible use. Balance charging - a lot of mythology used to surround lipo batteries when we first stared using them about 20 years ago. But it is really a necessity both for cell life and safety reasons. But its easy and all the modern chargers do it. They all pretty muxh use the same software and are very easy to use. I'm hardly the most careful person but have managed to avoid blowing myself up with 3+ Kw power systems lol. Suitable chargers are readily available I always used to use hobbyking.com but they closed the uk warehouse and shipping is a bit pricey. There's always overlander.co.uk or my old mates I used to fly for BRC hobbies now bought out by robotbirds.co.uk. If you can fit a ready made 3 cell pack in its all good its east to wire up the balance lead like this -https://www.precisionaerobatics.com/201 ... ipo-packs/
I am re-reading this and I find it useful. Still deciding which avenue is best for me as I am loving the old track powered DC controllers.... BUT I do love the thought of running on "Proper" rusty rails so I am having a look again.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Viscount wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:53 pm I use the kit from http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk. They have specific model railway radio modules. Excellent in every way. They also supply batteries, chargers, voltage converters and switch units. See my results on YouTube @OOElectronics.
Need to have a look at that. Thank you!

Edited. Yes. Micron. Was looking at them before and other makes.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...