Adverts/Donations/Sell the site

News and Announcements relating to the Forum
RogerB

Re: Adverts/Donations/Sell the site

Post by RogerB »

It seems as though some folk are commenting, but not voting. Appreciate it’s easy enough to read a few remarks but the poll graphic will help Brian in the event if a sudden burst of …….. well, anything really. 😁 R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

Option A for me please though I am a little concerned that it does appear a bit quiet on here of late.
Thank you to all concerned who have made this site work over the years.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Surprised nobody has asked what sum is actually reqd to continue to host the site ?……… difficult to make an informed decision without that critical bit of info.

options 2, 3 and others ( eg subscription, share ownership etc) are all possibilities but need the facts on the financials and the active / inactive membership numbers in order to cost out all possible considerations.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Hound Dog wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:53 am Surprised nobody has asked what sum is actually reqd to continue to host the site?
I can completely understand why that information has not been published. It will only be of critical interest to someone interested in buying the site.I respectfully suggest a private message to Brian would be the best way forward. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
aislabyjim

Post by aislabyjim »

Brian,
I believe that posts 8@9 offer the best long term solution and have voted sell. Hopefully you would agree to remain in an active role continuing to offer you undoubted expertise to less knowledgeable modellers like myself.
Kindest regards,
Jm
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

RogerB wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:34 pm It seems as though some folk are commenting, but not voting. Appreciate it’s easy enough to read a few remarks but the poll graphic will help Brian in the event if a sudden burst of …….. well, anything really. 😁 R-
Roger, Brian has understandably left the poll open until the 24th August to let people make a considered choice and I think we should take advantage of this period. The choice may not be the most significant in the world but to some of us it is important that the right choice is made with all the options explored. As far as I am aware this is the last model railway forum that is not linked to a commercial entity and is advert free and free to members. As the saying goes “Be careful what you wish for”, this forum has always had a reputation as the friendly forum and it did not get that by accident. One only has to look at some other forums and how they are run and what the limitations that are placed upon members. The decision made now will forever change the nature of this forum and its future if it becomes nothing more than a clone of others and offers nothing significantly different as it does at the moment.

I will vote before the deadline but I want to explore all the options before making a considered choice. I urge members to express what their choices are but please include the reason for making that choice.

Richard
jed10

Post by jed10 »

For option A the key word is "sell". If anyone parts with money to buy the forum then in almost all cases they will want to explore ways to recoup that investment. In which case, advertising of some sort seems the most likely course of action. By voting that the forum should be sold one should be aware this is most likely a vote for advertising anyway, without any idea of the extent of the advertising. You could very easily see the forum go the way of RMweb. By voting for B at least the forum remains in safe hands, for now, with an assurance that use of advertising will be relevant, not too intrusive and in sensible proportion just to cover the costs of running the forum.

There is another thing to consider if the forum were to be put up for sale. The value is in the domain name. For most people searching for a model railway forum this will be what they search for and will be a top 3 hit on a search engine. What if someone buys the forum simply for ienership of the domain which is then repurposed to cache into another forum or website. If this could happen then how can we be sure that this forum will continue at all as we know it?

The only safe way to preserve this forum is through member donations (or philanthropic single donation) to support its operating costs or by finding a revenue stream which probably has to be advertising. A membership buyout could be a possibility but that would still need someone who is prepared to take overall control.

The way to really give this forum a boost is to develop an app for it to run in. That's the way of the future and the way to attract new members, especially those of the younger generation (by younger I mean anyone under 60). However, that needs investment so we're back to revenue generation.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Richard I am in another forum that is free, advert free, sponsored by several model railway companies and as friendly as this great forum.
I hope this one continues.
Brian
Nurse, the screens!
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

jed10 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:39 am For option A the key word is "sell". If anyone parts with money to buy the forum then in almost all cases they will want to explore ways to recoup that investment. In which case, advertising of some sort seems the most likely course of action. By voting that the forum should be sold one should be aware this is most likely a vote for advertising anyway, without any idea of the extent of the advertising. You could very easily see the forum go the way of RMweb. By voting for B at least the forum remains in safe hands, for now, with an assurance that use of advertising will be relevant, not too intrusive and in sensible proportion just to cover the costs of running the forum.

There is another thing to consider if the forum were to be put up for sale. The value is in the domain name. For most people searching for a model railway forum this will be what they search for and will be a top 3 hit on a search engine. What if someone buys the forum simply for ienership of the domain which is then repurposed to cache into another forum or website. If this could happen then how can we be sure that this forum will continue at all as we know it?

The only safe way to preserve this forum is through member donations (or philanthropic single donation) to support its operating costs or by finding a revenue stream which probably has to be advertising. A membership buyout could be a possibility but that would still need someone who is prepared to take overall control.

The way to really give this forum a boost is to develop an app for it to run in. That's the way of the future and the way to attract new members, especially those of the younger generation (by younger I mean anyone under 60). However, that needs investment so we're back to revenue generation.
Thanks Jed this is exactly the sort of discussion we should be having with all the ramifications laid bare.

WTD I stand corrected and I am pleased to hear there are other forums out there but I like what we have here and don’t really want to end up forum hopping although I appreciate change has to come in all fairness to Brian.

Let’s have more thoughts on the available choices.

Richard
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I must admit that I have been thinking along the same lines as Jed10. Selling the forum would almost inevitably lead to the adoption of options 2 and 3, the difference being that those changes would largely be out of the control of the members.
My somewhat simplistic analysis of the voting so far is that members don’t want to see adverts or pay for the privilege of using this forum yet the other option, if adopted, would likely take us down that path.
A case of be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.
A combination of shared ownership/membership with controlled advertising/sponsorship remains my choice.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)