From test track to Pendale

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
broadoak

Re: From test track to Pendale

Post by broadoak »

I tried an unsuccessful experiment using my American outline locos by way of a change from my switching layout. The layout still didn’t have a name and was used to shuffle a few cars around. On the left hand side I painted a suitable back scene of a large feed mill and its associated buildings. I didn’t use KD magnets for uncoupling but a long handled paintbrush with the bristles removed and a short length of stiff wire added to the ferule.
I must say it was very pleasant sitting at my desk and playing with my trains at eye level. Here are a few photographs to give an idea what it looked like.

Peter M
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Why do you say it was unsuccessful? It looks effective to me.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Cheshire Lines, Perhaps unsuccessful was the wrong word to use it worked fine but as the layout was very narrow I had no room for buildings etc. I had to use a flat painted backscene.
Also by this time, some months later I had another idea.
I was exhibiting Two Sister's Farm at this time and decided to convert the test track to length of track that was supposedly part of the farm. On TSF the locos only move a few feet so I thought the test track would give them the chance to have a bit of a gallop.
This meant repainting another backscene that looked more like the Lincolnshire fens.

I also thought I could also pretend it was set in east Anglia and run my Class 37 loco with a small train.
I hope this gives some idea of my thinking at the time, because I was exhibiting Two Sisters and running my American switching layout Benson at the same time. I hope that all makes sense.

Regards Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Rush hour on the fens.

It was assumed that there was a small quarry on Two Sisters which provided a little extra income during the Winter months.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

The passing loop near the quarry, note the pile of rusting junk behind the green loco.

Steam in high Summer, the little Porter 0-4-2 is only used in Summer when things get really busy.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

I used this format for three years or so and enjoyed running the larger scale trains.
Having modelled the American scene for over 25 years I decided it was time for a complete change and sold all my American stock locos and cars.
With the money made by the sale I purchased some more British locos and buildings. While the layout now called Broadoak was being developed, I still had the test track to run trains on.
I have always been very fond off all things GWR and especially liked panniers and prairies so thoughts turned to making the test track into a rather run down branch line somewhere in the china clay area of Cornwall. The overgrown tracks I had used for the Two Sisters extension was perfect for the run down scene I wanted to create.
There was just room at the right hand end for a small halt which consisted of a short platform and a corrugated iron pagoda to shelter the few passengers.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

I like small Great Western locomotives so a Collet 0-6-0 was a must, in fact I have got two. Another small tender engine that was used all over the system was the mogul although I don’t think they worked in Cornwall, so here I claim modellers licence.
There is no room for structures so I had to draw and paint a small clay dries at the right hand end near the halt.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

I painted a back scene at the left hand end which was supposed to represent a few more modern industries. I was never very happy with it but it had to do for the time being until I could come up with something better.
The next sequence features a Standard Class 3 prairie again I don’t think they ever worked in Cornwall, but I rather like them.

The above sequence is self explanatory, the Prairie arrives with a string of open wagons and a brake van. It then runs round its train and pushes the empty wagons into the dries siding. The loco then departs with the brake van while the wagons are loaded with ball clay.

Peter M
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

The photos all look good and show what can be achieved in a small space.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Thanks for that Cheshire Lines I must take some more to bring the latest changes up to date.
Regards Peter M