Decision made

yelrow

Re: Decision made

Post by yelrow »

I have never used any kind of computer planning, or pieces of paper. I am with WTD, take some track, flexi, or otherwise, and start laying. I run a loco as I go, to ensure curves ok, etc. You never finish up with your design, and it’s so much fun to fly by the seat of your pants. I have an N gauge layout as well as 00, and started my N gauge with a bend at end of baseboard. Once the loco was happy with that, then rail by rail. So many people build from paper, or computer design, only not to like result, or find running probs. It’s supposed to be Fun, make it so.
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

Thanks for all the ideas fellas. I do think having a rough idea and then going and giving it a go might be the way forward. Now I'm ready to be shot down on this one. I'm considering using 2 inch xps as the baseboard surface as I have some that I use in my aero modelling activities and Its a nice material to work with. The main board will be braced in 2 x 1 and the terminus station on an upper level will have to be thought about. The plan being I can fix the track fairly firmly in place using pins and once I'm happy I can ballast it and that should hold it in place permanently. Not sure if this might be a bit unorthodox but I cant personally see why it wouldn't work but I'm happy to be advised otherwise :D
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

No idea what XPS is - can you tell us more?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It’s a foam insulation board.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Thanks Brian.
In which case two things spring to mind - some polystyrene foam can make the PVC in electrical wiring degrade and how will you secure point motors if you intend to use them?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Don’t like that idea, I am afraid. Has been tried on other forums over the years, and no good has come of it. Too many negatives. Soldering ,fixing point motors, securing track,just to name3. Sorry, but plywood is the way to go.
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

OK happy accept that and thanks for the advice. XPS is not the same as expanded polystyrene which I know can cause problems with PVC insulation. I'll be using servos for point motors which easily fit into carefully cut holes as I secure them in my model planes. But its all food for thought and I very appreciate the advice
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I’ve always laid track directly to the board. Far less trouble.
Nurse, the screens!
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

On reflection might just go with 9mm ply on a 2 x 1 frame. 50 years ago Dad and I used to use half inch chipboard on 2 x 1 and we never had any baseboard problems in 00. Dont know but the planning is all part of the fun and I'm already loving it :D
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

A wise decision. :D
Nurse, the screens!