Amp Meter or Ammeter

RAF96

Re: Amp Meter or Ammeter

Post by RAF96 »

Brian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:55 am I think the issue is the OP wants and is asking about a DCC meter to measure track current. These are very specalist meters and cost far more than most "Standard" meters do! The meters shown are not suitable for measuring DCC or connecting to an AC supply, but they work very well on DC power supplies as often used for lighting or similar. I have one on my control panel monitoring DC power for all the layouts servo power and layout lighting. :D

The panel meters shown earlier are clearly marked as DC. Solid line over a dotted line.
The linked out DCCConcepts meter is an RRAMP but a tad more expensive than my bare board one mounted in an old PSU case.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Interesting topic and thank you all for your input.

Brian asked the question 'do you really need one' and in my opinion as I use DCC it seems unnecessary to spend around £80.00 for one. Will use WTD suggestion of using alternative methods to give the same result.

80 quid after all is two thirds for another sound decoder.

Cheers
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

An RRAMP meter is optimised to measure the DCC signal waveform.
Regular multimeters are rigged to measure the sinusoidal S shaped waveform you see in mains AC. The accuracy of how these cope with DCC relies upon their sampling rate, which can be found on the meter label. The closer this is to the DCC frequency the more accurate it will be.
My oldest and cheapest 1970s Radio Shack analogue meter is within 1% of my RRAMP and my worst (Lidl) digital one is about 20% out, so almost useless.
Edit - just realised how old this post is.