DCC blanking plugs

Steve M

Re: DCC blanking plugs

Post by Steve M »

sandy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Steve M wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:06 pm Sandy, how many pins on the plug?
Steve. There 8 pins On the two I looked at.
I have some spare Sandy.
In case I can’t find your address could you message me your details and I’ll stick a couple in the post.
God only knows when Royal Mail will get them to you. :shock:
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
jed10

Post by jed10 »

sandy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:29 pm
jed10 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:21 pm I can't see how you can have a stayalive on dc. The capacitor will only discharge at full volts so every time you try to reduce the speed the capacitor will kick in and make it go full speed again until fully discharged.
With DC the full volts will be the voltage you have the controller set to. Unlike DCC when the full voltage will be 15v and the Loco chooses the speed.
Ok but surely there are significant pitfalls applying this to a dc loco without a decoder. Say, for example, you run your loco at full speed (i.e. 12v) and then you reduce the speed to 50% (6v) you won't get immediate response because the capacitor will discharge until the supply voltage and capacitor charge are equalised. This will give erratic control and make it near impossible to judge a stopping position at, for example, a station. Also, in the event that you identify a problem on the track you won't be able to execute an emergency stop. Any attempt to stop will be subject to run on for the duration of the discharge time.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Well if sandy tries it we will all know how well they work. The link says they work so lets see.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Why would an emergency stop be required on a model railway? :D
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

cow on the line?.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Never thought of that John. Moooove out of the way.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

jed10 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:53 am
jed10 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:21 pm I can't see how you can have a stayalive on dc. The capacitor will only discharge at full volts so every time you try to reduce the speed the capacitor will kick in and make it go full speed again until fully discharged.
With DC the full volts will be the voltage you have the controller set to. Unlike DCC when the full voltage will be 15v and the Loco chooses the speed.
Ok but surely there are significant pitfalls applying this to a dc loco without a decoder. Say, for example, you run your loco at full speed (i.e. 12v) and then you reduce the speed to 50% (6v) you won't get immediate response because the capacitor will discharge until the supply voltage and capacitor charge are equalised. This will give erratic control and make it near impossible to judge a stopping position at, for example, a station. Also, in the event that you identify a problem on the track you won't be able to execute an emergency stop. Any attempt to stop will be subject to run on for the duration of the discharge time.
Who runs the controller at full speed. Good evens. Back to the train set days.
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

sandy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:43 pm
jed10 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:53 am
Who runs the controller at full speed. Good evens. Back to the train set days.
When I have got hold of one and fitted it to a loco we shall then see if these capacitors work with DC or not. You all will be the first to know.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I do hope so sandy. Good job they are fairly inexpensive.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Sorted no longer required. I have found some.
I must say that it seems odd to me that a wanted add has been allowed to turn in to a thread. Never seen that before.
Sandy