Moving house

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
yelrow

Re: Moving house

Post by yelrow »

we have looked at Elevator. Unfortunately, i could find nothing suitably priced. There is no grant or any help. over here.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

If the memsahib's arthritis gets any worse I may offer to buy her a block and tackle.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

yelrow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:06 pm we have looked at Elevator. Unfortunately, i could find nothing suitably priced. There is no grant or any help. over here.
No grant for us, but a 'godsend'.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

My wife suffers from arthritis too, so had a stairlift installed and also a rise and recline chair. No grant funding, but definitely money well spent.
Recently purchased a mobility scooter too, but she's only been out on it once so far.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

A friend of mine looked at having a lift put in but their only option was to have a hole knocked in the outside wall on both levels and fit the lift outside the house. He gave up and moved to a bungalow..
Thanks for all the good wishes for the move, which are appreciated, especially when buyers solicitors are asking for building regs approval, etc for a house and conservatory built at the turn of the century. Then our sellers are pulling the 'we are just the executors so cannot and do not have to provide any such legal bumph'. Exasperating as the end date creeps ever closer.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

cheshire lines wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:10 pm Recently purchased a mobility scooter too, but she's only been out on it once so far.
A mobility scooter is another worthwhile purchase. My wife has taken it everywhere on holiday and elsewhere; Sainsbury's & Waitrose even.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I too had looked at an elevator numerous times. Initially for my mother (we got a stair lift installed for her) but now useful for me. I also have now a mobility scooter and take it for outings. I've explored the area where I live and found many footpaths and routes nearby that I wasn't aware of despite cycling around the areas footpaths (hmm - I know I shouldn't have) 25+years ago.

The mobility scooter I have is a large Class 3 one (needed for my extra large weight and height) so theoretically can go on roads at 8mph. I don't fancy anything but quiet estate roads where there are no footpaths though.

The move is quite hard, packing up from a 5 bedroom house to move to 3 bedroom one. The railway part was time consuming but easy as much was kept although some is going to Oscar Paisley of YouTube fame who lives in my general area about 30 miles away. Very little is discarded completely.

As for my 'computer room' - it's been a revelation going through the hordes of boxes kept there. It seems I've had literally dozens of different mice over the years along with keyboards and an equal amount of video and other expansion cards along with multiple attempts at using the computers to receive DVB(T) with different add-ons.

Eventually it will all be over and I'll be in the business of rebuilding everything from the computer setups I have to the railway in the garage and one in the house (an Inglenook for shunting in the winter).
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Contracts exchanged this week eventually after some butt kicking, moving definitely next Wednesday.
Broadband connection and various deliveries booked in on Friday.
BT excelled by sending the router for delivery on Monday despite being told there will be no one there. Fortunately it could be rearranged in the Royal Mail app.
This place looks like an Amazon warehouse.
Never mind, off out for an early birthday lunch later.
cadman

Post by cadman »

What a load of stress, Rob, but nearly there. Hope all goes well on Wed and the weather is kind.
Sorry I'm late but I couldn't get my flip-flops to work :roll:
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

cadman wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:05 pm What a load of stress, Rob, but nearly there. Hope all goes well on Wed and the weather is kind.
Looking good.