Vintage tractors.

GWR

Re: Vintage tractors.

Post by GWR »

Hi gomlet99 thats a great Ferguson 20hp tractor kit, will look forward to seeing your kit build. Thanks Brian for the link very useful. ;)
Kevin Bland.
gomlet99

Post by gomlet99 »

Hi GWR and all. I have made up the kit and will post a picture or two soon. I must admit I am not used to making up metal kits and found it more than a little fiddly. The 'holes' where the part were supposed to go were not very distinct, and I had to do a lot of 'holding' while the joints set. It is a lovely little thing and is most suitable for my 1940s layout. gomlet99.
gomlet99

Post by gomlet99 »

Here are the pics of the Ferguson 20hp, in all their glory (or should it be gory?) gomlet99

Brian

Post by Brian »

That's a great a looking vintage tractor. Well done :D
What colours were they manufactured in?
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
gomlet99

Post by gomlet99 »

Hi Brian, thanks for your comment. All the pictures I have seen of model and actual tractors, they have been grey, similar to the early versions of the later, iconic, Massey Ferguson TE20. The kit instructions say to paint it grey.

gomlet99
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't think I have a model tractor at the moment. We have a small version of a real one. Does that count? Is an old JD 655. Is seen here partly covered as the barn was being reroofed. We had borrowed scaffolding and strapped the scaffolding to the tractor for extra security. It used to have a cutting deck under it. Its the 4WD version with the diff lock, PTO & 3 point linkage etc. Was 16hp but in its lifetime it was upgraded to 18hp when it was rebuilt before my dad bought it. It used to have controls for a front bucket until one of my brothers friends hit them clean off with a borrowed mini digger as he wanted a go at digging! To be fair I had a little go and it wasn't as easy as it seems though my brother has used much larger things on a farm so he was used to it.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
lee

Post by lee »

Britains-but quite rare.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I like that Field Marshal pre war from Oxford I will get one of those always space around for little details like that. I have few Oxford 1.76 scale models and they are very good detailed models.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
gomlet99

Post by gomlet99 »

Unfortunately my enquiries suggest that the Field Marshall model by Oxford is post-war. Marshall did produce tractors pre-war, but the Field Marshall was only brought out when they resumed full tractor production after they concluded their 'war work' in 1944/45. I seem to recall reading somewhere that many vehicle producing companies, including tractor manufacturers, named models after military rank following the war, hence Field-Marshall (their pun intended I am sure) and Fordson Major. I am no tractor expert, or any other kind come to that, so I am quite willing to be shot down in flames by anyone with a greater knowledge. I prefer aircraft personally. My railway lay-out is to complement a lay-out of a WWII air station.

gomlet99
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I was going by the text which says 1923 to 1947. I can remember my friend and I going to work in 1963 in a 1939 Morris 8 .. which was my friends car. My first car was a 1939 morris 10 but I don't like to talk about it. :D I learnt to drive in that.
There were plenty of very old tractors cars lorries you name it running around the country through the 50 and even the 60s. In the late 1950s my school used to have coal delivered on a steam lorry. Foden it was. God knows how old that was buy it was painted and polished like new.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John