Re: Heathly Heritage and Freight - the garage

Post by teedoubleudee »

Looks great Jim, well done!
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
mijj

Post by mijj »

Ted said
Super job Jim, not sure about FenceLife indoors though?
All the best for the festive season.
Ted

I went by what peeps said here, anything as a back-ground to grass/sleepers/ballast :D .
A little went a long way though. A pity that SWMBO prefers the weather greying of fences and gates :( . I have a lot left over - anyone live close - it's free :) .
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
mijj

Post by mijj »

WTD said
Very nice mjj. Interesting thing about Celotex insulation. My son is renovating his house and put Celotex in just about every gap. Trouble is it is faced with foil and blocks wireless technolgy beautifully. He says all new house are fitted with data wires. Wireless technology room to room or building to building is a dead art.

Thanks for the heads up on that Brian, our router has a wall with cellotex in it between it. That may stop the signal getting through. My W7 machine is now back on the desk and I had relegated (in my mind anyway) to the W10 flap-top for model rail duties. It might mean that I have no internet connection from the garage. I might try that later ;) .
Jim
mijj

Post by mijj »

Brian wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:52 am Nicely done.. I put one of these along the floor where my electric roller doors come down as it gives a really good seal along the bottom... Link to floor seal
We tapered the floor and used double sided tape on the carpet. The roller door came with a rubber squashy thing that sealed out any drafts and sealed in any warmth. I am very pleased with the insallation
Brian wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:52 am Couldn't help but notice you don't appear have any overhead lighting on the ceiling? Are you fitting this later? As you will certainly need a good amount of overhead lighting. :D
Coming up when I get around to loading up the images. :) .
Jim
mijj

Post by mijj »

Mountain Goat wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:25 am Very nice. :)
Thanks MG. We are getting there :) (I think).
Jim.
mijj

Post by mijj »

mijj wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:27 pm WTD said
Very nice mjj. Interesting thing about Celotex insulation. My son is renovating his house and put Celotex in just about every gap. Trouble is it is faced with foil and blocks wireless technolgy beautifully. He says all new house are fitted with data wires. Wireless technology room to room or building to building is a dead art.

Thanks for the heads up on that Brian, our router has a wall with cellotex in it between it. That may stop the signal getting through. My W7 machine is now back on the desk and I had relegated (in my mind anyway) to the W10 flap-top for model rail duties. It might mean that I have no internet connection from the garage. I might try that later ;) .
Jim
I had to go to the garage to take photos so I tried the flaptop - no go :( . Well I was warned. How did your lad overcome this Brian?
Jim.
mijj

Post by mijj »

The lights my lad fitted are brilliant. They apparently only consume 4.7W each:!:
I got a clock as well.
Jim.
18-light.jpg
19-other light.jpg
IanS

Post by IanS »

There are a number of systems available in the UK for using the mains wiring for transmission of network signals. I can't speak to what Brian's son used, but there are a number of them.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

He has had the house rewired and data wires link everywhere to everywhere. That is correct about using mains wiring, but as most houses have two ring mains they can’t be joined. If you for instance have the broadband hub upstairs plugged into a broadband booster using the ring main, the booster at the other end would also need to be plugged into the upstairs ring main. Not much use if you laptop is downstairs. Apparently a data system is the way to go, don’t think I’ll be getting one.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I'm sure WTD that the various mains circuits all join together at the consumer unit! Unless you have a three phase supply.
Therefore a HF radio signal sent along the ring main in the downstairs ring circuit will also appear on the upstairs ring circuit, kitchen ring and any other circuits too. e.g. All the lighting circuits, cooker power and any that go outside etc. In fact all circuits fed from the incoming supply will be active.
This is exactly how the plug-in WiFi devices work.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website