This site and using a VPN

Questions about using the site
RogerB

Re: This site and using a VPN

Post by RogerB »

TDD - nothing derogatory was meant. I don’t use the technology and am taking a guess as to what it’s purpose might be. I know it is mentioned often on a tech show that I watch. I don’t have any issues with the hub I use. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I really hadn’t heard of it Ted. I don’t have any problems and everything works well. Only use my iPad now. The laptop is only used to transfer photos to a disc drive.
Nurse, the screens!
shroomy

Post by shroomy »

It hides your real IP address
From hackers,government and data trackers for a start
No banking details are ever visible
Ever wondered why things pop up when maybe you’ve just looked at an item or even been chatting to someone on what’s app or any other chatware it’s because of data trackers
No one can steal your identity
If you feel you don’t need one then you really need to look at what you do on the internet and maybe revise it
Every major company or business that ever uses the internet has a vpn and that includes emails
Terry has posed a very good question here for those that know anything about it
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

yelrow wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:38 pm you can do that now by browsing Incognito, and whats more, its free. Why would you want to hide your browsing. Only do that, when buying Heathers chrissie pressie.
Your BB provider still knows its you and we all know how good they are at data protection!!;. A VPN hides your activity from them as well. Anti virus and anti malware are only as good as the latest update on your computer. Malware can attack before its had time to check for updates.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I don’t get any pop ups or any strange activity. To me it just appears to be something else added to the system which is not always a good thing. If you find it gives to peace of mind then that is a good thing.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

thanks for the details. I suppose its down to internet use, and personal info stored. I dont get pop ups. I use AOL, always have, and really am content. Not willing to pay for anything additional. Everyone i looked at, incurred a cost. Is that right.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

BEWARE using a VPN does not mean your are safe it depends on who is running the server.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Have you tried adding this site to your exceptions list?
Have you tried clearing your browser cache?
Could it be a certificate issue that is causing the problem with this site? - Probably not...

Do you get any error messages?
Can you ping this site?
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Mr Bones wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:08 pm Have you tried adding this site to your exceptions list?
Have you tried clearing your browser cache?
Could it be a certificate issue that is causing the problem with this site? - Probably not...
Thanks for reply Mr Bones. My browser is set to clear cache, history etc when closed down so doubt that it is the problem and it fails on multiple browsers. I will try making the site an exception and let you know, but as soon as I switch VPN off it goes straight in. Typing this in Opera Mini on phone so it shouldn't be too difficult to find out wgat is happening.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The only site I ever have a problem with is Hornby, occasionally it is mega slow. Not life and death though. This one is the complete opposite.

I’m very reluctant to use any extra systems. Keep it simple.
Nurse, the screens!