Lostock Junction

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
cheshire lines

Re: Lostock Junction

Post by cheshire lines »

The reality is somewhat different as the Wharf section sits underneath the main layout:

There is no physical connection from one to the other, but a modified Peco Locolift allows a small tank loco and a couple of wagons to be transferred from one to the other:

cheshire lines

Re: Lostock Junction locos

Post by cheshire lines »

Starting to record all the various locos available to run on my layout>

TYPE 4 DIESELS

1-CO-CO-1 Diesels

Bachmann Class 40 D368 - one of many lococs inherited from my dad (who was a member of a local model railway club). Runs well despite its age.

Heljan Class 45 D11 - a recent purchased from TMC

CO-CO Diesel

Lima Class 47 D1111 - another one inherited from dad. Runs well (albeit a little noisily) now I've fitted new traction tyres.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

TYPE 2 DIESELS

BO-BO Diesels

Bachmann Class 24 D5054

Bachmann Class 25 D7645

Both inherited from my dad and run well despite their age.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

DMU

Bachmann Class 121 single car DMU number W55028
Supposedly a recent transfer from the Western Region for trials on the branch passenger service.

In reality purchased a few years ago, but I can't remember where from.

cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Diesel Shunters

Bachmann Class 03 D2011
Bought from a local second hand model retailer about 10 years ago. Runs well.

Bachmann Class 08 13365.
Inherited from dad, but unfortunately hardly runs (due to a problem with the pickups I think). Must get it looked at sometime.

Post by 508035 »

Can I ask please when the 08 is running, what exactly is happening, is it stuttering or is it like an intermittent running ?

If so then there are a few possibilities that I can think of but possibly other members may have extra possibilities of what the issue is that causes the poor running you mentioned.

1 ) Is the loco DCC, possibly some of the settings may need to be adjusted or the chip has blown.

2 ) Pickups might be making intermittent contact with the wheels and need a slight bend to restore contact or the pickups are completely worn out and need replacing.

3 ) Loco might need a service as the grease may have dried up.

4 ) Motor could be kaput and need replacing.

Those are a few possibilities but as I said other members might have a more detailed answer.

I remember seeing in a railway modelling magazine ( not sure which one ) where someone who had a Bachmann class 08 got fed up with correcting the locos pickups that he made 2 brass sliders which were somehow fitted between the wheels and made direct contact with the rails.

I cannot remember if the modeller removed the original Bachmann pickups or left them in place but I do remember that he concluded the article by saying that the locos performance was greatly improved.

May I also add that the explanation above is for anybody new to the hobby who might be needing advice on a similar problem.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Thanks for the info.
The loco is DC (as all mine are).

I'm pretty certain the problem is with the pickups. I've tested it with the loco held upside down in a loco servicing cradle and on one side only the centre wheel is picking up current.

I've tried to get the body off the chassis, but don't seem to be able to shift a couple of the screws.
The owner of our local model shop knows a guy who enjoys taking things apart and fettling them, so may ask him to take a look at it.

Your suggestion about replacing or supplementing the pickups with brass sliders sounds a good way forward.
Thanks again.