Change of car? Maybe.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Steve M

Re: Change of car? Maybe.

Post by Steve M »

Still waiting for a reply from Halford CEO.

In the meantime the OBD2 ‘memory saver’ arrived from Amazon so it was out with the spanners.
And once the air filter had been removed, I could see two 7mm bolts holding the mounting flange for that big pesky rubber tube with the ‘immovable’ clamps. Released those, the air box opted out and the battery slid forward to give access to the terminal clamps.

Less than 45 mins from start to finish and the job is done. :D
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Well done steve. Does than gadget replace my second battery, jump lead solutio..
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

yelrow wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am Well done steve. Does than gadget replace my second battery, jump lead solutio..
In effect it’s the same, just a bit more ‘sophisticated’.

It’s a cable with an OBD2 plug on one end (plug into the car diagnostic port) and a cigarette lighter plug on the other which plugs into a jumpstart/power pack. An LED confirms current is flowing. When the main car battery is disconnected it tricks the car into thinking it’s still OK.

The danger with jump cables is that they can uncouple while the plugs ain’t going anywhere. The battery on this car is buried under the windscreen wipers and bulkhead so there is little room to work and a real danger that the jump cable would detach - and a real chance of a short circuit.

As an extra safeguard I kept a voltmeter connected to confirm that the car still had power at all times.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

How often will you use it. Has it any other use than for battery changing. Certainly, a safer solution than jumpleads,
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hopefully I never use it again but if needed it’s in the toolbox. Only cost £8.99 so much cheaper than the varied fitting charges I had been quoted. It will work on any car with a diagnostic plug so that means if the kids need help or my spare car needs a battery, I’m sorted. :D

Now if only the key fob was as simple - yes, you guessed it, that didn’t go well. :cry:
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Is it a Ford key?
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Yes, Brian. Fob for keyless entry and starting.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Oh one of those. I heard they could be a pain.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm Oh one of those. I heard they could be a pain.
Definitely.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

you have my sympathy. Just been reading about these and watching u tube videos for battery changing. Looked simple enough, until you read the comments, such as, i have a different type to that, and mine looks nothing like that. Added to the detailed bit about sitting in the car, afterwards, to set it all up. My discovery key, was £175, and you had to prog in number etc. I thought that was bad enough. My lad tells me that his car gives a bleep, when fob is in need of new battery, and that is about a 5 week lead time. Keyless cars, no key in ignition, all mind blowing. Present volvo, has a key. Its huge, mind, needs a big pocket to carry it, and i can make car keyless. Why on earth would you wish to.