The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanAlan

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by IanAlan »

The top photo shows off the new models quite well. From left to right:

Hornby electricity pylon (one of the three in the kit - the others are rather randomly placed where I can squeeze them in).

The red brick house against the backscene is in fact a Dapol shop turned to the reverse - I've got already got a grey painted version of this kit on the layout with the shop front facing forward. I only placed it there because I couldn't see space anywhere else, but I think it looks very snug.

I've tried the Peco coaling tower on the other side of the engine sheds and am still in two minds about moving it back there or maybe somewhere else.

I'm pleased with the Dapol dockside crane in front of the Bay of Gdansk.

If you're thinking that the coaling tower looks like it's breaching basic health and safety rules, you're right. There's no safety rail around the platform on account of the fact that I ran out of glue and I'll have to wait until lockdown eases before I can buy some more. You probably can't see from the photos but the ladder is also missing for the same reason. That can also wait, given that the dockside crane kit doesn't actually have a ladder at all, so I don't know how the operator gets to the cab. I'm satisfied with the coal dust covered look of the coaling tower. This kit was originally bright brown - supposedly to look rusty - but I thought that was most unrealistic. I think that the rationale for manufacturing it in this colour was that it can be painted leaving small gaps for the rust colour to show through, but I wasn't keen when I tried it, so I put a bit more paint on.

Cheers, Ian Alan
dtb

Post by dtb »

I purchased glue this week, online from Broughton rail so don't let the lockdown stall your progress, keep it going, looking good.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Thanks for the suggestion dtb. I might do that although if the shops are going to open on 1st June, it's not really going to be much quicker and shop-bought Nonstick cement is only £1 from The Works. I've got plenty of other little jobs for the layout to be getting on with - and some not so little jobs.

Urban Skylines

Some of these photos are looking a little samey, so I think I need to make a cuppa coffee, play with some trains and then take some more photos. 🙂
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Think you’ll find the bright brown is red oxide primer not rust. :D
Nurse, the screens!
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi everyone,
I made two mistakes in my last post. First, I had it in my head that the shops were penciled in to open on 1st June, like some primary school classes. In fact, it's 15th June. Second, I didn't check my post before submitting. If I had, I would have seen that the Automatic Wrong Word Change on my phone had changed 'Bostick' cement to 'nonstick' cement. Whoever heard of nonstick cement? The ultimate contradiction.

Head for Heights

Long Way Down

Pylon
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Here Comes the Flying Scotsman

glencairn

Post by glencairn »

IanAlan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:28 pm Here Comes the Flying Scotsman
And looking good. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I like Long Way Down. Is that a United Dairies wagon? If so I had one in my OO triang train set - seems such a long time ago now.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

I couldn't agree more, Glencairn, the Flying Scotsman does look very good. It also makes a very pleasant, mellow sound, especially when it does over points. Most relaxing, I find.

Yes, you're right, BM, they are Triang United Dairies milk tankers. I like the Triang products perhaps partly because of nostalgia. The reason why it seems like a long time ago is because it was a long time ago. 😁 Half a century ago, give and take a few years.

I'll try to take a few better photos of the UD tankers over the next few days. Until then, here some random leftover photos.

Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Bandit Mick wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:20 pm I like Long Way Down. Is that a United Dairies wagon? If so I had one in my OO triang train set - seems such a long time ago now.
I purchased a UD wagon at a local model train exhibition a few years back for exactly the same reason that it reminded me of my old triang train set.
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.