Neptune Street

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Carl L

Re: Neptune Street

Post by Carl L »

Certainly does Ted,

Many thanks.

Carl
REB

Post by REB »

Thank you Ted,
Nothing like I imagined. :oops:
Rob
Carl L

Neptune Street

Post by Carl L »

Having just posted a query regarding electro points I thought I'd just add a quick update to show I'm still here.

With a big thrust on the electrics there isn't much progress to see. Focus is currently on the control panel; switches for the point motors and route indicators.

Once the electrics are done I might actually get something other than track on the layout!
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Find it hard to believe that it was as far back as October since my last post on this thread.

Having had the issues with the wiring short and finally cured it, (a basic error) it seemed like time to post an update.

Whilst visually it doesn't show a lot of advancement, for me seems like a huge leap forward. I sort of made a pact that only after the electrics were finished would I start installing trackside furniture (do they call it that?) and look at ballasting sections. So, having installed all the point motors, the control panel is fully functional with directional LED's (the eagle eyed may spot a couple of points with both LED's lit - pm's still to be fitted).

I'm just waiting for the delivery of a Peco turntable to fit in the space above the control panel, once installed it's time to start with something other than electrics, which to be fair, I'm bored of. All the engines and the DMU are DC and as the layout is fully live have been removed. They may be converted at some time, particularly the DMU.

With so much time spent on sorting the short, as someone suggested, I'm going to run some trains.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Carl,

Nice work and well done for sticking with it and getting to this latest stage....... it can be a slog sometimes especially if you hit problems and feel that you have to go backwards to progress.

Having been there I can assure you it gets better when you get beyond the electrics and can start to think of turning the pile of wood, track and wires into something that begins to resemble a layout...... then the fun starts - if you think wiring is boring, then ballasting is on another level - LOL.

Remember it is a hobby to be enjoyed and not a chore.....also plenty of support around the forum to keep you from going off the rails ( sorry, bad pun)

Cheers Richard
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Nice panels, Carl. Respect! Enclosing the "works" like that makes a fine contrast to my rats' nests.

Cheers,
Artur
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Very neat Carl
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Appreciate the comments thank you.

Artur - ‘Rats nest’ - you haven’t seen underneath the panel, it’s probably exactly that.

Richard - well I was looking forward to ballasting. I’ll reserve judgement!
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

The plus side of the lockdown was the completion of the electrics and control panel, the understandable downside has been the unavailability of some products but I believe the Peco turntable and motor I've had on order should be here in the next few days.

So with that in mind I thought I'd build a rough cardboard mock up of the engine shed. Wanting to create the run down atmosphere of a 60's shed I've been inspired by the O gauge layout Old Elm Park and the P4 Maindee East. I certainly don't have the room to anywhere near replicate Hull Dairycoates with its four internal turntables so one will do. As with Old Elm Park the front wall of the shed (facing) will be left open for viewing as will the roof. For the columns I think I'll be using Plastruct H columns and their open web trusses for all the cross members. As for the walls I'm a little undecided, the railway structures in the Hull area tended to be red brick but would like something more textured than brick paper. This is the first mock up so there may be changes, I just wanted to try and get an idea of size.

Anyway enough text, images.......

Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Lots of work completed - well done. Will be interested to see further developments.