Why don't they make ... ?

A place where you can describe your model railway wished for items that are not currently available.
Mountain Goat

Re: Why don't they make ... ?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Wouldn't it be good if coaches could have passengers that hide out of view until one switches a finction on DCC and the passengers suddenly come into view.. So trains could run empty or busy?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

"Wouldn't it be good if coaches could have passengers that hide out of view until one switches a function on DCC...…."

What about different levels of occupation? I recall seeing Maunsell deep window carriages passing through Clapham Junction with people standing in the corridors, ("full and standing" as we used to report) extremely visible, that might require a very sophisticated mechanism! :lol:
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Just imagine how expensive the coaches would be, more than a loco I reckon. Good idea though.
Nurse, the screens!
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

Thinking a bit outside the box, why not some form of virtual reality projector inside the compartments of a carriage so a different view can be seen through the window. Think of the possibility? Murder on the Orient Express, perhaps?

Ah well, back to the padded cell! :lol:
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

One thing I thought you could buy and it seems you cannot is a roll of HO/OO sleepers. Have a number of lengths of Hornby flex with the brittle plastic sleepers that I retrieved from an old fiddle yard to reuse but just touching them results in the rails parting company from the sleepers.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

There are a number of possibilities, firstly you can use copper clad sleepers and solder them to the rails. In a fiddle yard you do not need to have sleepers at the scale spacing so you do not need these to be placed as closely as you would on the scenic section. A track gauge is essential and of course a soldering iron, but these are easy to obtain and you can quickly learn the technique of track construction.

C&L Finescale do sell the product you desire BUT it is for code 75 bullhead rail and not Code 100 as used by Hornby .
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mike Parkes wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:01 pm One thing I thought you could buy and it seems you cannot is a roll of HO/OO sleepers. Have a number of lengths of Hornby flex with the brittle plastic sleepers that I retrieved from an old fiddle yard to reuse but just touching them results in the rails parting company from the sleepers.
The next time I make some track, I will keep some sleepers for you as I didn't know what to do with them. Some I need to break to make my track, but others I can rescue.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Mountain Goat wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:23 pm [The next time I make some track, I will keep some sleepers for you as I didn't know what to do with them. Some I need to break to make my track, but others I can rescue.
Thanks for offer but resolved the immediate issue with some new lengths of track.
tigger449

Post by tigger449 »

I'm thinking of modelling a London station at some point in the future and thought of stations that have a mixture of BR and LUL services. I'm surprised how few models of underground rolling stock there is. Is this not an area that people like to model?
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The flippant response is that there’s not much point as it’s underground and can’t be seen. Of course there are large parts of the network that is ‘overground’ although in my opinion it’s the least attractive and photogenic part of the railway. Maybe that’s the problem?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)