LUMSDONIA

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
JohnSmithUK

Re: LUMSDONIA

Post by JohnSmithUK »

Is there anything that lollipop sticks can't do? I assume they give a decent texture to the undersides of the arches as well?
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Over the weekend I used a Costa coffee - their wooden stirrers are a good substitute for lollipop sticks. R-

(Other coffee stirrers are available).
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

JohnSmithUK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am I assume they give a decent texture to the undersides of the arches as well?
Nope, I have rolled DAS clay flat and embossed with a texture roller, then applied while supple, to the underside of the lolly sticks
Piccies will follow
TimberSurf

Website > Lumsdonia.co.uk
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RogerB wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:28 am Over the weekend I used a Costa coffee - their wooden stirrers are a good substitute for lollipop sticks. R-

(Other coffee stirrers are available).
I don't just use coffee stirrers. I use tea stirrers as well. I was fortunate to be given a box of them. A few years later I was given a quantity of lollypop sticks. The rest is history...
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

JohnSmithUK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am I assume they give a decent texture to the undersides of the arches as well?

Nope, I have rolled DAS clay flat and embossed with a texture roller, then applied while supple, to the underside of the lolly sticks
Piccies will follow

There are many alternate sources of modelling materials, here are some I have catalogued! Lumsdonia Tips 100
TimberSurf

JohnSmithUK

Post by JohnSmithUK »

TimberSurf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Piccies will follow

There are many alternate sources of modelling materials, here are some I have catalogued! Lumsdonia Tips 100
Thank you, I have a growing collection of random bits and pieces to use, and now I have even more ideas.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

So after cracking the process of transferring the clay to final position using greased proof paper, the build progressed. I still had to do a lot of remedial work to basically hand trowel the corner stones in place later on and re scribe all the mortar lines then add the inner walls, coping stones and road surface. I used a base coat of cream for the mortar and a couple of colours for the dry brushing (probably about 5-6) and voila, worthy of a video!

Three Bridge Valley Stone Bridge build Video

Watch to the bitter end for the outtakes!

TimberSurf

Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hi Timber
Love the textures and colouring of your Bridge, seeing it with the mock scenery has helped to build a picture of your aims. Your getting the full thumbs up from me (for what that's worth)
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Very very nice TS.
twalton1145

Post by twalton1145 »

Can't wait to see it in situ. Brilliant work!
Ted