Just starting out

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Hoe Street

Re: Just starting out

Post by Hoe Street »

Thanks Brian for taking so much time to provide a substantial and informative response. What a great fraternity there is amongst model rail modellers. I'm far better off with acquiring essential knowledge on constructing a layout than I was a mere few days ago, and the contributions to date have vastly improved my state of mind. :D

Now that Point Motors & a CDU have been identified for me, I shall have to wait until the next pay-day before going after the best switches to work with my project.

Don't let that idea delay other members' contributing though, I shall always be reading/replying to responses.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hoe Street wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:49 pm Thanks Brian for taking so much time to provide a substantial and informative response. What a great fraternity there is amongst model rail modellers. I'm far better off with acquiring essential knowledge on constructing a layout than I was a mere few days ago, and the contributions to date have vastly improved my state of mind. :D

Now that Point Motors & a CDU have been identified for me, I shall have to wait until the next pay-day before going after the best switches to work with my project.

Don't let that idea delay other members' contributing though, I shall always be reading/replying to responses.
Please remember for solenoid point motor operation you should use a lever or switch that cannot remain On. That is, its classed as either Passing Contact, Momentary or if Toggle switches are to be used they are of the (On)-Off-(On) type which are sprung to centre Off. Push buttons must not lock they are Press to Make/Release to Break type.
If cost is an issue then probably the very cheapest option is a simple panel with Studs and a Probe selection. Next comes Toggle switches and Push buttons. Top of the bill will be Passing contact levers such as the Peco PL26.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Hoe Street

Post by Hoe Street »

Got that Brian. Always best to have some options but judgement should not be totally influenced by cost alone - although for some, I respect it may be a priority for them.