Diesel Hydraulics at Portencross

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Walkingthedog

Re: Diesel Hydraulics at Portencross

Post by Walkingthedog »

Don’t they look great and so does the layout. Do you have a Desert Sand version Western Enterprise?
Nurse, the screens!
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Not yet, but Western Enterprise is definitely on the shopping list - one can never have too many Westerns 😀

I have a new Dapol Green Western Yeoman which is due to get sound fitted, as I sacrificed my only Green Western ( Heljan Western Emperor ) for Steve to repaint into the black Western Pioneer.

Now that I have finally figured out how to take and upload videos, the forum might be awash with Hydraulic fluid - LOL

Thanks for the kind comments, but layout still work in progress - is there any other kind !

Cheers - Richard
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

One of the many things that I like about your layout HD is that you have an urban industrial area and leafy green countryside. The best of both worlds.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Richard I agree with Ian. Can we have more pictures of your layout please.
Nurse, the screens!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Exceptional use of backdrops. One feels as though one is gazing into a broad horizon.
Hound Dog

Re: Local DMU Service at Portencross

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi - Firstly thanks for all the positive comments following my last post.

This week has seen slow, but careful progress on the new Goods Yard ( now named Waterside Goods Yard for reasons which will hopefully eventually become apparent - just don't hold your breath). As I apply scenic effects to the goods yard ( the bit I enjoy most), I am really trying to savour the process, stopping to really think through what should go where and what effect I am trying to achieve.........I have started to sllowly build up the waste land at the back of the yard, as well build a lineside hut, grounded van and plan out fencing and roads etc......I have also tested a blended mix between one set of track beds, in order to provide a suitable base for further greenery.

See links to two photos of how it is shaping up......

Yard Photo 1: https://flic.kr/p/2mXBCqR

Yard Photo 2 : https://flic.kr/p/2mXDyEX

Additionally pls see a link to a video of a local DMU service departing Platform 1 at Portencross and completing a circuit, before heading down the branch line and emerging adjacent to the goods yard.......in showing a full circuit for the first time, I have revealed the as yet untouched far corner of the layout including the reverse loop.........this is will be the next major project after the goods yard is complete and the plan is for the reverse loop and part of the main line to be hidden in tunnels below a large rolling hillside - I know the outcome I want to achieve, but how to build this and ensure access for cleaning and recovery is still not fully defined - I envisage seeking some inputs from the forum on this for sure.

Video : https://flic.kr/p/2mXBxGs

As usual any feedback welcomed - thanks Richard
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Richard, however you build the hillside, make sure it is made as a lift off structure for track maintenance and rescuing any derailments.

For what it's worth, my preferred method is to build support pillars of insulating foam around the tracks with solid layers of foam over the top, carved to shape, then encased in plaster bandage before adding the scenic treatment.
It's very light and easily lifted clear when needed.

Take care when laying fencing, walls or hedges across the joints.........I got caught out when I built a lovely wire fence across the joint between two scenic modules.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Hound Dog

Re: Something you don't see everyday at Portencross

Post by Hound Dog »

After my nightly hour of scenery building, I took a mad turn during a brief running session and turned out my only Steam loco : 4472 Flying Scotsman, of course.

Now notwithstanding the fact that I consider myself something of a Diesel Diehard, I have to confess this steam loco looked pretty darn good running around the layout and so perhaps there might be a future in Steam, if I ever tire of my BR Blue or multi-coloured Hydraulics..........I am away now to take some tablets and lie down, as this has all come as quite a shock to the system - LOL

Cheers - Richard

Picture 1 : https://flic.kr/p/2mXSn96

Picture 2 : https://flic.kr/p/2mY1WTY
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

The odd steamer on a 'Special' is okay. :lol:
Be careful with the tablets though. Not half as fun! :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi Folks,

Back on the main Portencross thread as Hydraulic power is back on the rails again after recent major engineering work at St Meddans Junction to create a spur to the new Waterside Goods Yard.

Dignitaries gathered, speeches were made and the ribbon was cut to open the new yard, and by mid afternoon the place was a hive of activity with a variety of goods movements in the main handled by Warships of all shapes and sizes, ably assisted by the odd Hymek, whilst the Westerns remained on passenger duties..

Intend to play trains and tidy up the many odd jobs that are required around the layout, before starting to tackle the hillside which will house the mainline and reverse loop tunnels at the far southwest corner of the layout - fortunately there is no track laying or wiring involved, but will be a challenge to create the effect I want and still allow easy access - however that is for another day.

Enjoy the photos - as usual any and all feedback welcomed

Cheers - Richard