Reversing Loop.

Buffer Stop

Re: Reversing Loop.

Post by Buffer Stop »

@Journeyman:

Scans from pages 10 and 11 of the Hornby Track plans manual edition 14 showing return/reversing loop. Look at figure 8. Apologies for the quality. I can email you or anyone interested the PDF version of the scan if you'd like. It's a lot sharper. Converting from PDF to JPG or PNG slice the quality a fair bit. Unfortunately, I can't upload PDFs to the site.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi
I'm unclear exactly what the point (Pun intended :D ) that's being made is actually about?
The Hornby track plan is totally different to the one shown on page 1 of this topic!
Hornby plan Fig 8 uses one Insulated frog point and they only isolate one rail in two places, but the major and overriding difference is that their plan is for a loop that is controlled by one entrance and exit point and the loop starts and ends at that same point.
On the plan provided here the area of the loop has two entrances and exits located at each end!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks Buffer and Brian,
the reverse loop is working fine, it was wired up as Brian suggested, making the whole loop reversed.
At the moment I’m laying and wiring up three sidings one behind the station taking power off the inner circuit and two drawing off the reverse loop.
Shortly I’m going to have to make up the final switch board, at the moment it’s just a temporary one and it’s getting full!

Dave.
Buffer Stop

Post by Buffer Stop »

@Brian: I only posted the extract from the Hornby track plans as an example of a loop which exhibits the same issue as was being discussed here. It wasn't meant to be a solution to a problem that's since been fixed.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Buffer Stop wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 am @Brian: I only posted the extract from the Hornby track plans as an example of a loop which exhibits the same issue as was being discussed here. It wasn't meant to be a solution to a problem that's since been fixed.
Hi
I don't wish to get into an argument, but the Hornby plan is absolutely nothing like the OPs plan or reverse loop. So it doesn't exhibit the same issues at all. :o
It shows a single line reverse loop and how to feed it, which is fine and as a single entry/exit loop it works OK so long as you remember to carry out all the procedures.... Let train in, stop train, throw switch, operate point, turn controller to opposite direction of travel, take train out of loop.
But not suitable where two or more points lead into or out of a loop section. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Buffer Stop

Post by Buffer Stop »

Understood. I’ll withdraw from this thread.

With hindsight, I wish that I’d incorporated the Hornby loop into my layout though. Hindsight, and all that …
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

To me it’s all grist to the mill and all ideas are welcome and add to the knowledge pool I’m starting to fill in my own understanding.
It’s also important that Brian continues to point out the differences for future readers.
So I hope you will all continue to contribute to a valued discussion.

Cheers for now, Dave.