Advice please: How does one get coal from pit head to wagon?

Help with layout scenics
sandy

Re: Advice please: How does one get coal from pit head to wagon?

Post by sandy »

GeoffAlan3 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:34 am
Stese wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:14 am is electrolysis used I wonder. Pass a high enough current through h2o and it splits into h and o... the hydrogren rises above the oxygen as its lighter... so they can shipon both off and use it.
All you need to do is keep the anode and cathode a distance away from each other and collect the bubbles coming up from each, one was pure Hydrogen, the other pure Oxygen. As my last chemistry lesson was well over 50 yrs ago, can't remember which is which, but it's not a good idea to mix the two in quantity as they tend to go bang!
Trouble is the energy used to separate the 2 produces carbon wast end result = small amount of the 2 gases and more carbon wast to atmosphere. = no gain it seems.
Sandy
GeoffAlan3

Post by GeoffAlan3 »

sandy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:34 pm
GeoffAlan3 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:34 am
Stese wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:14 am is electrolysis used I wonder. Pass a high enough current through h2o and it splits into h and o... the hydrogren rises above the oxygen as its lighter... so they can shipon both off and use it.
All you need to do is keep the anode and cathode a distance away from each other and collect the bubbles coming up from each, one was pure Hydrogen, the other pure Oxygen. As my last chemistry lesson was well over 50 yrs ago, can't remember which is which, but it's not a good idea to mix the two in quantity as they tend to go bang!
Trouble is the energy used to separate the 2 produces carbon wast end result = small amount of the 2 gases and more carbon wast to atmosphere. = no gain it seems.
Rather depends on where the electricity comes from, spare nuclear power used at off peak times or spare wind generated power and no extra carbon is produced.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Yes I know and that is another issue. :) We have moved onto a different subject now..... Chops was asking about what methods coal mines in Great Britain used to get the coal from lift cage or drift entrance to the transport out from the mines.. It would be nice to here from a real retired miner. The only knowledge I have is visiting mines as a tourist. And living near mines in my area.
Sandy