Reopening "Why don't they make?"...

A place where you can describe your model railway wished for items that are not currently available.
Walkingthedog

Re: Reopening "Why don't they make?"...

Post by Walkingthedog »

I think TT is going to do well. Some new locos being introduced soon.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

sandy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:08 am
Englishbob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:32 am From the cheap-seats...(All will become apparent if you read on...). I am returning after 55 years. From the days of "Hornby super 4". I am at the planning/drafting/drawing stage of a DC, 9.5 metre, end-to-end layout, in OO. I will be using Peco code 100 with electrofrogs. My question is..."Why don't they make a code 100, electrofrog double-slip?" There may be a perfectly simple explanation. After all, I freely admit to being below-novice at all this!
Oh, and be warned...I have several hundred other dumb-questions!!!
I have a SL-90 Double slip on my mainline and it works just fine. Perhapse that is why they dont make an Electrofrog version.
I have two SL-E190 electrofrog Double Slips and they work fine - albeit Code 75.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

WTD, TT is fun, even the old locos.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:13 am I think TT is going to do well. Some new locos being introduced soon.
Agree with you that it will probably do well. But I could never understand why oo gauge did so well with it being the wrong track gauge in the first place. Everyone bought it because there was no other choice at the time. Triang tried TT years ago but it fissiled out. If it gets popular it could challenge oo gauge. But I am keeping mine. :lol:
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

If you wanted British outline at a reasonable price OO was really the only choice. Got my first OO set in about 1959 and the stuff was readily available in the local toy shop and it just got added to for about 60 years. Had no idea about the gauge being incorrect and neither did my dad, why would we, we weren’t rivet counters we just wanted to play trains. :D
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Yes I was the same playing trains in the late 50s with Hornby doublo 16.5 track. Trouble is my dad was not interested. I got my interest from watching the trains though a missing paling in the fence near our local station and waving to the drivers who mostly waved back while my Mum was shopping. But even then in the 50s the EM modellers were busy trying to convince the OO gauge followers that 18 mm was the way to go. In fact even that was 1 mm short of the correct 4mm conversion I think. Near as dam it.
Sandy
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't know why they didn't go down the American 00 gauge route and use 19mm gauge.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Or why didn’t the Americans go down the UK route. I really don’t think running UK OO on HO track is a problem. Looks OK to me. We know why OO is a bit over scale for HO.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Could say the same about TT
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Never really taken much notice of what TT runs on. Is that out of scale.
Nurse, the screens!