New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

SquiddlyDiddly666

Re: New to DCC. Cannot get Controller to recognise any locos.

Post by SquiddlyDiddly666 »

Believe me I have tried all your helpful many times but to no avail. So unless someone sends in another idea to try I am going to have to buy another Powercab.......................................Or does anyone want to suggest a more user friendly starter set to try?
Brian

Post by Brian »

So, are you saying you have momentarily shorted across the running rails and it produces the effect I described?

The NCE PowerCab is considered by many to be the best Starter set and even more 'professional' exhibition users own them.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Stese

Post by Stese »

I'm not a DCC user myself, but it seems that it may be helpful to get an extra pair of eyes on this. I've sent you a direct message about that.

Failing that, are you able to provide some pictures of the connections, the track, whats showing on the Powercab etc? The guys that do have the knowledge can understand your setup visually and that may provide clues to why you are struggling.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
SquiddlyDiddly666

I apologise for not reporting back but an unannounced leak with my central heating system and the resultant taking up a load of floorboards in the lounge has meant I have not been able to do anything DCC test wise as the test track is in the lounge. I will re- read all your responses in due course and respond as soon as I am able. Andy
SquiddlyDiddly666

Brian wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:05 am So, are you saying you have momentarily shorted across the running rails and it produces the effect I described?

The NCE PowerCab is considered by many to be the best Starter set and even more 'professional' exhibition users own them.
I have now tried the temporary short test and I don't get a short. The controller shows 00Amps before the test and when I put a coin across the track I get 2.2Amps showing.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Surely if you don’t get a short there is no power to the rails.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

OK. So if there is nothing happening when you short the rails That means there is no power reaching the rails. After removing existing rail feed wires do the same shorting test momentarily across the pair of Track output terminals on the rear of the PCP. This will prove you either have power or not coming out of the PCP. :D

Its also worth while taking a very careful look at the soldering on the PCPs circuit board. See post #6 last paragraph where I found on a brand new PowerCabs PCP there was an unsoldered connection - Pin sticking through the circuit board but unsoldered! It worked correctly after flowing solder onto the pin/circuit board.
SquiddlyDiddly666

Thank for that, I will try that as soon as I have access again. I knew you had posted a comment as I received an email but that is the very first time and only time I have received an email during the length of this saga. Is it something you have done or is it a setting I can turn on and off?
Brian

Post by Brian »

email or PM updates are turned On/Off by yourself via the User Control panel and also in the OPTIONS selection below the Text panel "Notify me when a reply is posted"
SquiddlyDiddly666

If I short out the pins from the power track plug socket, the red light goes out on the PCB so I think that is doing its job correctly. I have checked the pcb and I cannot see any unsoldered pins on the PCB.