Adverts/Donations/Sell the site

News and Announcements relating to the Forum
Walkingthedog

Re: Adverts/Donations/Sell the site

Post by Walkingthedog »

I am not against paying a yearly fee if it keeps the forum alive. The other forum I am in is free but sponsored by different companies. There are no adverts flashing on screen.
Nurse, the screens!
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:59 pm “ I am not against paying a yearly fee if it keeps the forum alive”

I am entirely of a similar mind, but as per my earlier post I think there needs to be some clarity as to what this may entail……. I have absolutely no experience or understanding of what it involved in hosting a web forum but are we talking about £1000 divided by 100 members or £5000 divided by 50 members or £10000 divided by 500 members ????……

Roughly what would such a fee need to be to maintain the forum in its current format for the foreseeable future ?…… a ballpark figure will suffice to focus the discussion.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Possibly less than £5 pa depending on the number.
Personally I dislike having a set 'pay to view' fee over a voluntary donation scheme.

If sold the only item sold for money would be the Domain Name - Model Railway Forum.co.uk which I own. But even here it would be peanuts in £s I would be asking for. The software that the forum currently runs on is free to download. So just annual hosting and domain name registration/renewal are the main outgoings.

The owner needs some basic IT skills or have someone available to provide such a service. They also need to have a team of helpers - Moderators who can offer some of their time to review content of new posts and review by accepting or refusing new applications.

My only issues are the annual cost to me personally and my age. I would now rather be a moderator on here than the owner.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Brian wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:30 am Possibly less than £5 pa depending on the number.
Personally I dislike having a set 'pay to view' fee over a voluntary donation scheme.

If sold the only item sold for money would be the Domain Name - Model Railway Forum.co.uk which I own. But even here it would be peanuts in £s I would be asking for. The software that the forum currently runs on is free to download. So just annual hosting and domain name registration/renewal are the main outgoings.

The owner needs some basic IT skills or have someone available to provide such a service. They also need to have a team of helpers - Moderators who can offer some of their time to review content of new posts and review by accepting or refusing new applications.

My only issues are the annual cost to me personally and my age. I would now rather be a moderator on here than the owner.
OK then let me be the first to put my money where my mouth is. Option C has always been my more favoured option the only concern is what happens if funds are insufficient or what to do if there is excess. So in my case I would be happy to go up to the equivalent of a typical magazine subscription.

Since Brian has expressed a wish to pass on ownership I would happily be prepared to be a part owner in partnership with other members. Being of senior years that obviously puts a finite limit on how long I would be able to do that and would be looking at some time in the future to pass on ownership to younger members. I suppose I have reasonable IT skills but have never had a website and know nothing about running one so I am not looking to be an Admin but would happily be a moderator. My SiL is very capable with most things computer wise but he is busy setting up a software company so would have limited time to help and I could not guarantee immediate help if the site went down with a technical issue.

This is a unique forum and I would like to see it remain that way, so no adverts and no commercial owners looking to gain some benefit from the forum. What I am proposing is not a permanent solution and the same that Brian is experiencing will have to be revisited again but for now the forum would remain as is.

Anyone else interested?

Richard
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Thank you Brian for the additional context.

I can understand the preference for donations over a set fee, and I would challenge anybody who frequents the forum to not see the tremendous value that we all benefit from for what could be as little as 10p per week.

I would certainly be in favour of a donation led initiative with a suggested minimum.

Without knowing everybodies personal circumstances, I would still anticipate that the financial aspects are unlikely to be outwith the reach of the membership if we truly get behind it, and so it likely remains the “Ownership / Management” burden that requires to be addressed……… is there somebody in the membership who has the time and skills to help relinquish Brian of this burden and allow him to remain as a valued moderator ?………. If the Management and financial burden can be separated then there is not the same obligations / risk as would be associated with outright ownership.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Sorry Richard - I think our posts crossed in hyperspace.

I would also be prepared to assist in some capacity if we were short of volunteers, but again I have no experience of web hosting etc.

I completely agree that we have something unique and valued here, but it is not at all reasonable for one individual to shoulder the financial and administrative burden …….. we have to get behind this and put in place a “team” to allow this great Forum to continue.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

It seems to me that there are three main factors that drive the resolution of the dilemma for the forum.
1: cost
2: time
3: technical ability

No.1 should be resolved by modest subscription/donation. Could this be initiated in the short term by Brian to establish of the forum can achieve a self-funded status?

No.2 an overall leader/owner is, I believe, essential but also needs to be backed up by a team of moderators. I would suggest that we add a couple more to share the load - any volunteers or nominations? (Happy to put myself forward if necessary).

No.3 That’s the sticking point for me. I have some knowledge but God only knows if it would be sufficient to run a forum like this and regrettably I don’t have access to anyone ‘in the know’.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Stese

Post by Stese »

Hi All,

Firstly, a big thank you to Brian and the mod team for running the forum so well thus far. It is their work that helps give the site the welcoming atmosphere.

I'd be happy to take the forum on. I have the required technical skills, and I am also a qualified GDPR/DPA 2018 practitioner. I've have also reached out to Brian in PM to this effect.

My intent would be run the forum as it has been done for so many years, with the current moderators continuing in their roles and adding more should the current ones feel it is needed.

The only thing I would look to change is the hosting, to my preferred provider.

To reduce the costs for myself, I'd simply open up voluntary donations. I'd also be happy to make a commitment not to use advertising such as banners or popups.

at any rate, I would prefer the forum not to be sold to a business... railway related or not.

Regards,

Steve D.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Well done Stese, and thank the stars. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Thank you Stese that is tremendous news.
Nurse, the screens!