Heathly Heritage and Freight - the garage

Where can I keep my model railway?
Walkingthedog

Re: Heathly Heritage and Freight - the garage

Post by Walkingthedog »

Yes Brian that would seem to make sense, but when I got a booster it wouldn’t work and when I talked to the supplier they said both parts really needed to be on the same ring main circuit. I’m not an expert but that is what I was told. My sons sparky said he is fitting data systems in all new houses and retro fitting them when he rewires old houses. 100% better was the words he used.
Incidentally our ring main is up and down stairs front and up and down back.
Nurse, the screens!
IanS

Post by IanS »

I think we're talking two different things here.

Wi-fi boosters receive the signal and then resend it, whereas mains networks send the signal down the mains wiring in the house. A router network wire would be plugged into the mains adapter via a normal network cable. The laptop is plugged into a mains adapter via a normal network cat 5 or cat 6 cable.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Probably not, but all I was pointing out is that modern insulation blocks wifi signals. Also what ever I had needed to be plugged into two sockets on the same ring main circuit, one where the hub plugs in and the other at the far end of the house to get a strong signal. Didn’t work so sent it back.
Nurse, the screens!
IanS

Post by IanS »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:56 pm Probably not, but all I was pointing out is that modern insulation blocks wifi signals. Also what ever I had needed to be plugged into two sockets on the same ring main circuit, one where the hub plugs in and the other at the far end of the house to get a strong signal. Didn’t work so sent it back.
You're describing the first type.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Fair enough.
Nurse, the screens!
mijj

Post by mijj »

IanS wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:20 pm mains networks send the signal down the mains wiring in the house. A router network wire would be plugged into the mains adapter via a normal network cable. The laptop is plugged into a mains adapter via a normal network cat 5 or cat 6 cable.
What stops the signal leaving the property?
Jim
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Powerline adaptors is what you need. I have a few of these (TP-Link Powerline adaptor) around the house and one in the shed and they work well. Ok they are not as fast as sitting by the router, but for what I need they are fine.

You can get them cheaper than this, I only used the Argos link as an example. You can also get faster ones.
They can be a bit of a faf to setup when you have more than one, but on the whole they're fairly straight forward. The example is a starter kit, to add others you only need the larger units as only one of the smaller units is required connected to the router. The great thing is they can be used to extend the wifi or you can plug in an ethernet cable.

Hope that helps.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
mijj

Post by mijj »

It sounds like I'd best stick to possibly running the locomotives with it then :) . I can do without any hassle. It is for later anyway. Thanks for the reply.
Jim
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
IanS

Post by IanS »

mijj wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm
IanS wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:20 pm mains networks send the signal down the mains wiring in the house. A router network wire would be plugged into the mains adapter via a normal network cable. The laptop is plugged into a mains adapter via a normal network cat 5 or cat 6 cable.
What stops the signal leaving the property?
Jim
Probably nothing! I don’t have them, they may have security inbuilt. Nothing is preventing WiFi leaks either other than security.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Blimey I only thought I’d mention out of interest that the modern insulation blocks wifi.
Nurse, the screens!