Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Walkingthedog »

What a waste. I wouldn’t buy anything if I wasn’t going to run it even if was only occasionally. Definitely have to be on display.
Nurse, the screens!
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

My club loco also arrived yesterday, and is destined for storage, or for sale. It doesn't really fit into my modelling aspirations. It may end up the same way as a previous loco of this type as an industrial with a scratch built body.

This was what happened to the last one.

LC&DR says South for Sunshine
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I usually end up giving them away (bring back the Voucher Hornby!). I had them from 2007, but various sons of friends have benefited.
IanS

Post by IanS »

IanS wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:07 pm One of a number of DCC installed (or ready) I have bought since Christmas Day is the Railroad version of the Flying Scotsman.

I put it on a test track a while ago and also a rolling road when I bought that - all worked fine.

Today when I placed it on the rolling road it didn't! Apparently in the intervening time I have managed to buckle one of the connecting rods and the wheels won't turn. The rod is bent both inwards against the wheel and upwards presumably from my attempts at getting it to run the motor worked for a short time.

It's the TTS installed version - so now I have the challenge of changing the rods. I did manage to find a supplier with them on Ebay although Peters Spares had none (it's relatively local and my preferred option for quick, one off bits.)

I did manage to 'run in' successfully another loco.
Challenge not needed. Excellent service from Rails of Sheffield. I contacted them and explained the problem and they are sending me a replacement.

They referred to the rods as being mangled, which is a very good way of describing them!
Davreb05

Post by Davreb05 »

The new hornby rocket arrived today.

StobartRailFanNo.1

Post by StobartRailFanNo.1 »

That looks very nice, Davreb05. Enjoy it. ;) :)

StobartRailFanNo.1
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Bachmann Ivatt Class 4 2-6-0 (weathered) from Rails of Sheffield. Just can't resist dirty black locos!
Although advertised as pre-owned, you really couldn't tell it had ever been out of it's box. The additional bits such as front steps, crew and cab doors were still in the original packaging.
I've fitted the crew and cab doors, but decided not to risk the front steps due to the tight curves on my layout. I also had to fasten the tender onto the further of the two settings for the same reason.

Chops

Post by Chops »

Davreb05 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:51 pm The new hornby rocket arrived today.

How is the mechanism? Does it run smoothly or like a hare?
Davreb05

Post by Davreb05 »

It runs nice and smooth, the coaches are very lightweight,
no detail inside, but the engine has the power to pull them, looks like
there are pickups on one wheel set of the tender, and looks like both
sets of wheels on the engine.
David.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

My Rocket also runs well, fiendishly delicate though, have had to glue one of the buffers on a coach back on already. The couplings are a nightmare, they don't always fit the hooks or they fall off as soon as they are coupled, and one of the hooks actually fell off the buffer beam and has been lost. I am planning to modify the coupling arrangement using brass wire hooks instead of the plastic.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine